ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Corner Pin, pixelate.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Wheeler
Corner Pin, pixelate.
on Apr 26, 2010 at 8:52:42 am

Hi there,

Got a small question about some corner pin data I exported data via mocha.It imported into after effects fine but its looking rather high quality againts the orginal HDV footage. I need to add a pixelated effect to the corner pinned data, is mosaic effect best for this? If it is i need to tie it up in an expression of some kind, linking it to a tracking data null to change the amount on zoom (scale in the null). Can anyone help me
out with that expression. I guess there might be a better way, any ideas?

ta

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Corner Pin, pixelate.
on Apr 26, 2010 at 2:08:58 pm

[Matthew Wheeler] "It imported into after effects fine but its looking rather high quality againts the original HDV footage."

To answer your question, I'd drag the item to be corner-pinned onto the Make Comp icon in the project window, then use it to replace the item already there. Then you can add whatever effects you want in the now-nested comp. Mosaic ain't a bad first choice, but use with discretion.

However, I foresee problems at render time, and you might want to tend to some other unexpected business right away:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew Wheeler
on Apr 26, 2010 at 2:28:11 pm

the footage im using with the corner pinned comp is a layered/animated psd (at 100%width/hight). What i really was asking, is whats the best way to get footage to match with pixeleted verses higher def footage. match the pixel count, or at least give the impression its from the orginal footage.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 26, 2010 at 2:34:46 pm

Oh, I understand completely.

The method I suggest is resolution-independent, and you don't have to do any fancy scaling or anything. Photoshop documents don't always have the same resolution as the footage in the composite; that's why I suggest that route. Just use various effects on an adjustment layer in the nested comp.

And I still think you're going to have trouble at tender time if you don't do something about it now.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew Wheeler
on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:19:36 pm

Thanks for your help dave. I always thought any scale/corner pinn effects would re-sample in AFX till the meets the comps native rez. I'm having trouble as its its scaling stuff and the main tracked footage isn't raw hdv data its a h264 compression version.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]