ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking Freezes After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefan GilliganMotion Tracking Freezes After Effects
by on Apr 25, 2010 at 2:40:41 pm

In after effects CS3 I would like to use motion tracking to follow the small movements of the camera so I can add a realistic sun to the scene.

After selecting the perfect points on the clip, I click analyse forward.

The clip begins tracking and works fine up until 11 seconds where it just freezes. I have tried tracking from a few seconds in to see if it is a specific point in the clip, but if I start tracking at 5 seconds it freezes at 16.

The clip is 19 seconds long and I'm working in Adobe After Effects CS3 Extended.

Any help is greatly appeciated,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motion Tracking Freezes After Effects
by on Apr 25, 2010 at 6:00:31 pm

Here's my guess: it's not AE's fault nor your inability to track, but the footage you're using:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul EstevesRe: Motion Tracking Freezes After Effects
by on Jul 10, 2015 at 7:49:17 am

Dave, what codec do you recommend converting DSLR H264 codec into? Does converting it into Prores help After Effects? I realise shooting with a camera that can do native prores or something else would be ideal, but in the case that you can't, does converting H264 help?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Motion Tracking Freezes After Effects
by on Jul 13, 2015 at 8:00:27 pm

Converting into production codec can help a lot, yes.

QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec is visually lossless. Good for most situations.
QuickTime with the PNG codec is actually technically lossless. Good for the most demanding situations. (Although, you'd be unlikely to be shooting to a lossy codec like H.264 if you were in this sort of situation in the first place...)

You could also use Cineform, DNxHD, or the Lagarith codec if you want to really get into things. All of them use either no compression or (very little) intraframe compression. Interframe compression is what used to give AE fits and is much more process-intensive.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Colby FultonRe: Motion Tracking Freezes After Effects
by on Jul 9, 2015 at 9:20:46 pm

This is still happening in 2015.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved