ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

video skips

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dimi devrovideo skips
by on Apr 24, 2010 at 2:50:55 pm

I'm having a serious problem with after effects. When I upload my videos in after effects (videos that i filmed with my sony handycam avchd, Full hd 1080) the video skips (by that I mean that it returns to a previous frame(s) each +-5seconds) First i taught it had something to do with using the large hd files in the ae program but when i rendered the video it was still skipping on the same moments as in the program. Then I decided to change my hd files to a smaller size before putting them into after effects but I was still having the same problem. I haven't had this problem with ae yet. I'm using the "leave color" effect on my footage. Any suggestions please?

Kind Regards.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: video skips
by on Apr 24, 2010 at 4:46:48 pm

• Do you have the free upgrade to AE 9.0.2? Get it if you don't.
  • Are you trying to use multiprocessing with 4GB RAM or less? Don't.
  • Are you using Open GL to speed up renders? Turn it off.
  • Are you using the a type of footage that AE doesn't like? Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved