ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Making footage appear compressed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damon MumaMaking footage appear compressed
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:56:40 pm

A weird request.. I'm trying to match some greenscreen footage to a source that is not the greatest quality... a poorly transferred digital rip of an older movie that looks fairly nondescript. I tried applying various kinds of blur to the added footage, which helped a bit, but looked too smooth. I think the main problem is that the original footage is maybe compressed so that's where the distortion is coming from more than blur.. wondering about what I could do to try and match that. Posterize helped a little, but still not really right. I wonder what else might help?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Making footage appear compressed
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 10:17:10 pm

Compress it, then transcode it back into an usable format for post.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jason ByfieldRe: Making footage appear compressed
by on Apr 24, 2010 at 12:51:04 am

There is all sorts of visual "looks" compression can give video so without a screenshot it would be hard to point you in the right direction.

If I WERE to point you in a direction though, my first thought would be to Add Grain after your blur and play with the settings.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Making footage appear compressed
by on Apr 24, 2010 at 11:29:27 pm

Walter's idea has a simple genius to it.

That said, my first thought was to use the Mosaic effect to simulate the blockiness that comes from JPEG- and MPEG-based compression.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved