ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Anamorphic maths problem - it's been a long day...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antony BuonomoAnamorphic maths problem - it's been a long day...
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:19:59 pm

My brain feels like fudge and I just can't work it out even though it must be easy...

I'm doing the opening to a feature, they want 1828x 1556, anamorphic 2:1

I want to send the director some web previews in square pixel. Something around the 1000 pixel width range. How do I work that out in the 'stretch' area of the output module? I thought it would be easy; it's 2:1, so make it 1000x 500... no, that's not right. I imported it back in and checked against the original.

Anyone with a functioning brain out there on this Friday afternoon/evening/morning?

A

Vertigo Productions

http://www.vertigo.co.uk

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Anamorphic maths problem - it's been a long day...
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:26:25 pm

Wow, you ARE frazzled.

Do it a different way: make a square-pixel comp in a 2:1 screen aspect ratio in any resolution you'd like. Nest the comp for the open inside this new comp, and scale it to fit using the Command-Option-f keystroke combo (mac).

Then render in the codec of your choice, send it off, and go have yourself a well-earned beer.

I'd be interested to learn what you're drinkin'.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Antony BuonomoRe: Anamorphic maths problem - it's been a long day...
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:35:00 pm

Nothing more than lots of good Italian coffee... maybe too much...

However, I have tried that method and it doesn't work. I have no idea why. It should. It's the first thing I tried. As a way of checking I put a circle effect in the original composition/design. When I put that into a 1000 x 500 (square pixel) and then scaled the comp to fit the circle is not round anymore. Somewhere along the line I am doing something really stupid...

A

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

Antony BuonomoRe: Anamorphic maths problem - it's been a long day...
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 6:07:46 pm

OK, the coffee finally kicked in. The pixel aspect ratio is 2:1 but the screen aspect ratio is 2.35:1. Therefore I made a comp of 1000x 426 and everything is hunky dory.

Enjoy your weekend. Beautiful weather here in London, hope it's the same with you.

A

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Anamorphic maths problem - it's been a long day...
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 8:36:24 pm

[Antony Buonomo] "The pixel aspect ratio is 2:1 but the screen aspect ratio is 2.35:1."

Ah. Keeping aspect ratios straight. Consider it Job Security.

Thanks for the good wishes. Here in the center of the USA it's currently rainy and 12 degrees Celsius.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]