ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Photoshop colors don't match in After FX

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael NeelPhotoshop colors don't match in After FX
by on Apr 22, 2010 at 8:49:53 pm

Hello fine forum folks

I'm working on an animation project in After FX. We are creating files in Photoshop, changing the DPI from 300 to 72 (usually), and importing them into after effects as compositions - not cropped with editable layer styles.

When I open each psd layer in After effects the colors look right in the layer window, but when I bring the layer into a composition they look noticeably lighter. I've been able to use the levels effect to solve this but it seems like a waste of time.

I tried to embed the color profile when saving from Photoshop but it isn't working.

Does anyone know what is going on, or how to fix it?

Our specs:

Files created in Photoshop CS3
Files opened and re-sized in Photoshop CS4
After FX CS4

Mac OSX 10.6.3

After FX composition settings:

square pixels

Return to posts index

Paul ConigliaroRe: Photoshop colors don't match in After FX
by on Apr 22, 2010 at 9:31:08 pm

Try making sure color profiles are enabled in all the right places. You file should have a profile assigned in the Interpret Footage dialog, your project should have a working space assigned in File:Project Settingsā€¦ and when you render, your output module should also have the proper color profile assigned.

You might also want to take a look at this white paper from Adobe on color management.

To be honest, I'm not as good at color management as I should be, but this is where I would start. Maybe someone who has a bit more extensive knowledge of color management in AE will chime in a bit later.

Adobe CS4, Apple FCS3
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Michael NeelRe: Photoshop colors don't match in After FX
by on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:02:04 pm

Great, thanks Paul. I'll check these out and hopefully they will solve my issues!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved