ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS4 aeselflink keeps crashing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel SpagnoliAE CS4 aeselflink keeps crashing
by on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:57:56 pm

Just got a brand new OSX Snow Leapord dual quad core xeon with 12gigs ram a Radeon HD card and a Blackmagic card, and for the last 3 weeks after getting it, after effects CS4 runs like GARBAGE!!

It is slow as anything running in "normal" single processor mode. And when i put it into "Multi-Processor" mode, the aeselflink sub processes keep locking up when rendering (I have to force quit them in activity monitor) . This happens regardless of processor and memory allocation. After force quitting them, the render will complete, and AE will return to normal.

This is a brand new machine...everything else (most notably final cut) runs GREAT. In a comparison bench mark my home PC machine (i7 920...AE can't even see all 8 cores, only 4) and 6gigs Ram, renders roughly TWICE as fast as this machine (and uses the multi-processing decently (though any good programer can tell you spawning multiple executables just to multi process is lazy coding...sorry thats a rant for another time).

Any tips, tricks or solutions to this slowness? everything on this system is up to date. Thanks!!!!

-Dan

Dan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS4 aeselflink keeps crashing
by on Apr 22, 2010 at 9:21:34 pm

[Daniel Spagnoli] "Any tips, tricks or solutions to this slowness? everything on this system is up to date."

....and that also includes the upgrade to AE 9.0.2, which alleviated a lot of AE woes? It's a free download, and I had to check, 'cause that's the first thing you need to do.

I presume you know that Open GL acceleration is pretty much useless for rendering, and you know how to allocate RAM properly in AE Preferences for multiprocessing:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/03/performance-tip-dont-oversched.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]