ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

compositing/tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Wheeler
compositing/tracking
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:43:49 pm

Hello everyone...
I'm having some troubles. I am attempting a track on a bus and cant get a smooth image rendered out. The footage is interlace HDV 1440x1080. I change it over to apple pro rez and it plays smooth on my monitors after converting (interlaced) and then I bring it in to after effects, create my track and then attempt to kick it out. The footage is smooth but the graphic I'm adding is progressive and does not match the smoothness of the footage. I can make the footage progressive and then do the track and kick it out but then it looks to jerky compared to the rest of the footage when the bus moves. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: compositing/tracking
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:12:33 pm

Interpret the footage as upper field first, render as upper field first, and view on a VIDEO (not computer) monitor.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan Wheeler
on Apr 22, 2010 at 5:15:04 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

That went a long way as far as getting the video part of the composite back to FCP looking smooth... the only problem now is that the graphic (a still picture) that I am compositing on the side of the moving bus chatters along with a progressive look to it. I tried interpreting the graphic as upper field first... same result. Then I tried turning it off, still chattering. Any suggestions to how to treat the layer I'm adding to the footage?

Thanks,
Ryan

Return to posts index

Paul Conigliaro
on Apr 22, 2010 at 5:25:05 pm

Interpreting the graphic with fields won't help, since the graphic itself is progressive.

Getting a good composite is always tricky, but you might want to play with adding motion blur if you haven't already.

Also, are you rendering out with Upper Field First? That should be adding interlacing to your composite as it tracks along.

Adobe CS4, Apple FCS3
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Ryan Wheeler
on Apr 22, 2010 at 5:36:02 pm

I am rendering out Upper first but might be doing it in the wrong place in the settings. I'm setting it up in the Output Settings and after I set the frame rate and then check the interlaced box, it gives me the option of Top Field First. After setting it, a dialog box comes up telling me to set the frame rate in the Render Settings. I do not see an Upper Field/ any field option in the Render Settings. Is that why maybe?

Thanks,

Ryan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 22, 2010 at 5:55:07 pm

[Ryan Wheeler] "I tried interpreting the graphic as upper field first..."

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You need to interpret your VIDEO footage as upper field first! Still images don't have fields: they don't move! They don't need 'em!

[Ryan Wheeler] "I do not see an Upper Field/ any field option in the Render Settings."

Now, you ARE using either the Make Movie or Add To Render Queue commands, either of which put your comp in the AE Render Queue, right? Forget about that Exporting crap -- use the Render Queue.

If you're in the Render Queue, click on the Render Settingsthat accomany your comp and navigate to the field order settings. If you can't find 'em, you ain't lookin' hard enough, pal. They've been an integral part of AE since Version 3, and probably even before that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Conigliaro
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:31:57 pm

In addition to Dave's comment, I'd add to also make sure "Track Fields" is checked in the tracker options.

Adobe CS4, Apple FCS3
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]