ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking/Stabilisation of Aerial Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adi KerrMotion Tracking/Stabilisation of Aerial Footage
by on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:37:10 pm

Hello all,

I've had a look around this forum and a few others, tried some of the tips and tricks and I'm still having trouble, which may be because I'm not very good with After Effects, or because I'm attempting the impossible or a combination of the two.

This morning I went up in a Microlight for half an hour in an attempt to get some test shots, and I've got them back to the edit and obviously found a degree of camera shake to them which I'd like to eliminate.

What is the best way to do this? I've tried Stabilisation, but it just keeps the tracked point in the same spot. The footage itself is moving over a golf course, so eventually any points will passs through the shot, moving both x and y axis.

I think what I'm asking is;

"Is there any way of selecting a portion of the footage, and making that point follow a Motion Path?"

I'm not sure how clear I've made myself, but if anyone can decipher my ramblings and offer a bit of help that would be great. Thanks all.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motion Tracking/Stabilisation of Aerial Footage
by on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:54:24 pm

[Adi Kerr] "What is the best way to do this?"

I'm glad to hear that you're running tests. You've now learned the value of a camera stabilization system, and the reason why such systems are used in aerial motion photography.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Motion Tracking/Stabilisation of Aerial Footage
by on Apr 22, 2010 at 5:48:39 pm

Do the movement yourself. Once you have the shot stabilized (one point frozen) just animate the position of the layer. It's crappy and a flight stabilization rig, like Dave mentioned, is a much better choice, but you can get away with it sometimes.

If it's a long shot, you'll have to track multiple points, when you switch to a new point, the footage may jump suddenly. No problem, you're moving the position keyframes anyway.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved