ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Match a Move

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason McKee
Match a Move
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:05:45 am

Okay, so I'm sure this is an effect everyone sees from time to time, but I'm curious about the best way to tackle it.
First off this is an effect that's made up off two separate shots each intended to match the other (but without the use of a motion control rig). The first shot - Side A - has a dolly move pushing in toward the subject. After a few beats there's a dissolve (rotoscoping is used to separate the Actor from Side A as we make the transition to Side B) to Side B. On set they made their best attempt at matching the move from Side A (by hand), but no matter what, these two (without a motion controlled rig) will never match by themselves.
What's the best way to handle this?
I've heard something about stabilizing one of them to match but that's where I lost 'em. Please help and thanks in advance.
-jm

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Match a Move
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:26:59 am

Morphing the transition will help- plenty of tutorials on that.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Match a Move
on Apr 22, 2010 at 1:59:13 pm

[Jason McKee] "On set they made their best attempt at matching the move from Side A (by hand), but no matter what, these two (without a motion controlled rig) will never match by themselves. "

That's right! Did they at least use track with the dolly, so you don't have to stabilize the two shots as well?

Aaaah, I'm getting ahead of myself. If these two shots are simply done by people power, the problem is one of SPEED MISMATCHES. There's no way to match those differences in speed without playing with the frame rate, which will affect the look of the motion. Moreover, getting matching frame rate changes will be a time-consuming, hit-and-miss process, yielding questionable results.

[Jason McKee] "What's the best way to handle this?"

Reshoot with motion control! Why do you think they use motion control for this kind of work in the first place?

Apparently the folks who shot this think you can work miracles, so you might want to pass along this Camera Operation 101 lesson to them:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]