ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Bring MKV Into After Effects CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ofir KanerBring MKV Into After Effects CS4
by on Apr 22, 2010 at 6:37:39 am

Hi,

I have an MKV file I would like to import into AE.

What is the best way to do it in order to keep the highest possible quality?

Thank you,

Ofir

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Bring MKV Into After Effects CS4
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 12:32:07 am

MKV, like AVI and QuickTime, is just a container format. It doesn't actually specify what codec you're using.

AE doesn't really like temporally compressed media (see Dave's Stock Answer #1 quoted below). I think your best bet is to transcode your MKV media to a different container with an intraframe codec. Uncompressed AVI, Quicktime Animation (at 100%) or Quicktime PNG would all be good choices. You could also use an image sequence if your MKV tools don't write AVI or MOV.

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ofir KanerRe: Bring MKV Into After Effects CS4
by on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:55:02 am

Thank you for the information.

Any recommended tool for the mac to convert the MKV into Uncompressed AVI or Quicktime Animation?

I have an 8 core Mac Pro so a utility that can use multi core will be more than welcomed :)

Thank you,

Ofir

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Bring MKV Into After Effects CS4
by on Apr 28, 2010 at 1:34:12 pm

[Ofir Kaner] "Any recommended tool for the mac to convert the MKV into Uncompressed AVI or Quicktime Animation? "

Check out Perian: "a free, open source QuickTime component that adds native support for many popular video formats." It should allow you to open MKV files in Quicktime and Quicktime-based apps.

I don't have any direct experience with MKV files, so please post back and let us know if this works, or when you find a solution.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brian CramerRe: Bring MKV Into After Effects CS4
by on Apr 5, 2016 at 1:40:49 pm

For anyone that finds this thread and is looking for an answer as I was...

I ended up using handbrake (https://handbrake.fr/) it's an open source video transcoder and it's free.

I convert any mkv and avi to mp4 and they always import into After Effects without issue. A couple times I had damaged mp4s(float issues) and I converted from mp4 to mp4 in handbrake that worked too. This does take a good 10+ minutes to convert an hour long video, so if there is any quicker way I'd love to hear!

Return to posts index

chris kingRe: Bring MKV Into After Effects CS4
by on Jun 16, 2016 at 8:14:25 am

It might be hard to find someone with direct post-production experience with media in MKV containers. This is not a common professional format at all. To edit MKV in After Effects, a good suggestion is encode MKV to AE edit-friendly format before importing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]