ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Background problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
george bonilla
Background problem
on Apr 21, 2010 at 10:54:02 pm

Hi guys, need your great help (again). I recently shot two shots two weeks apart. In one shot a tree is clearly bare two short weeks later the tree has apple blossoms. It is in the background and the shots are static. How would you get rid of the blooms in AE? I have an older version so I don't have all the new tricks. Is there a clone stamp that I could lay the one tree over the other? Thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Background problem
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:40:13 am

Masking and compositing the tree from the first shot in the second one is my first take- but that's so simple and straightforward that I may have missed your real problem... if that's not it, post some stills to better explain your problem.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:13:11 pm

[george bonilla] "I recently shot two shots two weeks apart. In one shot a tree is clearly bare two short weeks later the tree has apple blossoms. It is in the background and the shots are static. How would you get rid of the blooms in AE? "

I wouldn't. I would WAIT until the apple blossoms are gone, and then I would shoot the background yet again. Problem solved.

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

george bonilla
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:33:14 pm

Thanks Dave, greatly appreciated. This is our 9 th feature so I certainly do understand. Anyone on our set knows that it is taboo to say "fix it in post". Unfortunately when you are on a budget and a dealine you do waht you have to do. The trees almost never bloom this early. We were scheduled to shoot the week before (actor problem). So, re-shooting or waiting until next year could not be done. Even considered stripping the tree but the location would not allow. I believe I can get away with it (apple blossoms look like snow)but I always want it just right. So I will mask and composit before we consider waitng until next year (we have a distribution deal for this Holiday season) Thanks again for the advice though. You guys are a treasure to film makers.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:51:01 pm

[george bonilla] "I believe I can get away with it (apple blossoms look like snow)but I always want it just right. "

Oh, if THAT'S the issue -- i.e. unwanted springtime colors as opposed to no blossoms whatsoever -- I'd try isolating the blossoms on a duplicated layer with a mask, then using AE's Change Color or Change To Color effects.

Hey, it's quick and it's worth a shot....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

george bonilla
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:04:33 pm

HEEEEYYYY! That sounds like a great idea! Thanks again and I really mean it, you guys are one of the best resources for film makers in the world! I will give it a go! It is just one branch in the shot! BUT, that will also help with some grass that is just a bit too green.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]