ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

10.6.3 killed mult-processing?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams10.6.3 killed mult-processing?
by on Apr 21, 2010 at 4:08:14 pm

After upgrading to 10.6.3 AE CS4 9.0.2 no longer uses multiprocessors. Just one. Doesn't matter how I change the memory and multiprocessor settings, it simply has no effect on the memory being used.

A couple days ago, before I stupidly upgraded to 10.6.3, AE would kindly suck up all the RAM and processors I could feed it. Anyone else having this problem?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 10.6.3 killed mult-processing?
by on Apr 21, 2010 at 4:12:46 pm

Did you do a clean install of the new OS, or just run the upgrade installer?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: 10.6.3 killed mult-processing?
by on Apr 21, 2010 at 5:03:20 pm

To upgrade from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3? Have you lost it Dave? :)

That's all I did. The little update to 10.6.3 that just came out. And the pro apps update that brought FCP to 7.0.2.

But to answer your question, yes, I completely rebuilt my system from the ground up when I installed Snow Leopard. I basically clone my drive to another (so I can still access stuff), then make a copy of my projects and home folders, and erase the system drive and install the OS and apps and start reconfiguring. Takes a few days before everything is back the way I like it, but it's all fresh and clean.

I figured if it's an Adobe / Apple OS mismatch, somebody here will jump on it. Otherwise I'll just keep fiddling to see why it has stopped using the multiprocessors. Maybe there's something about my new project. It's based on a CS3 template the client downloaded. Hmmmmm.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2010 at 5:10:31 pm

[Bret Williams] "To upgrade from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3? Have you lost it Dave? :) "

Yup. I confused it with Leopard and Snow Leopard. Duh.

It sounds a LOT like something's not kosher with the OS, but the only other thing I can offer is that ol' standby, Repair Permissions.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2010 at 9:14:31 pm

Solved. Two problems. The project used CC Page turn which appears to be incompatible with a 16 bit project. Not sure why it was a 16 bit project. But the real culprit was the "cartoon" effect. It's incompatible with multi processing. Why, I have no idea. Here's the list/data...

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WSDD65B476-971A-48e9-A5FD-D90E...

I found that link via an old post on the cow. Funny, I usually find answers on the cow more often when I search google. When I use the cow search engine, I never find anything. It'll often say 0 results. Google never says 0 results.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2010 at 9:16:29 pm

Oops. Was trying to rate my own post a solution. Instead it rated your post Dave. It won't let me revoke my solution rating. Well, maybe it'll go toward your batting average or something...

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2010 at 9:23:29 pm

Well, that was a fight!

Page Turn hates 16 bit, and Cartoon hates multiprocessing; I'll have to keep that in mind. I also learned today that AJA Adobe plugins make QT's in the Animation codec look like garbage. Uninstall the plugins and all is well again.

Maybe that Solution rating gets me an extra cookie at lunch, in which case I'll share.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2010 at 4:06:35 am

The page turn was giving me the little exclamation point and the yellow triangle in the effects palette, and clicking on the triangle said it was incompatible with 16 bit projects. So I switched it to 8 bit and the triangle went away. But it had worked fine in 16 bit. And I went back and did a test with cartoon off and 16 bit and it multi-processed just fine. So the multiprocessor issue was all cartoon. The big effect they hyped. BCC cartoon look is better. If you want to pay a grand for a couple plugins you'll use, and a bunch you won't. I pretty much don't use plugins myself. I buy 'em if they're really needed.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:28:39 pm

[Bret Williams] "So the multiprocessor issue was all cartoon. The big effect they hyped. BCC cartoon look is better. If you want to pay a grand for a couple plugins you'll use, and a bunch you won't. I pretty much don't use plugins myself. I buy 'em if they're really needed. "

Oh, I hear you, man.

Learning how to use AE effectively is a lot like a native Chinese speaker attempting to learn proper English grammar: not only do you have to learn the rules, but you have to MEMORIZE the many exceptions to those very same rules at the same time you're learning them!

Insanity, huh?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]