ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Where should my AE application reside?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David DiNennaWhere should my AE application reside?
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 8:13:36 pm

I'm a newbie, so excuse me if this question is a bit basic...

Is it best to run my AE and Premiere applications on my external drive (Fusion 400G drive) or off my C:Drive? I'm just curious if these applications can even run off a external drive, and if so, would they work/render quicker versus the C:Drive.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Where should my AE application reside?
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 8:16:59 pm

Specify your C drive when installing. The installer should default to putting the apps in C:/Program Files.

External drives are great for media. Your C drive is a very bad place for media.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David DiNennaRe: Where should my AE application reside?
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 8:22:16 pm

Thanks Dave. So installing and running from my C:Drive (program files) is the correct way to set this up?

This is the way i have it now. My files are located on the external drive, and I edit/render them on the drive as well. I just thought that perhaps running these applications off the external drive would be better because the drive isn't running anything else. You're saying this is not the case - right?

thanks again.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 20, 2010 at 8:33:52 pm

[David DiNenna] "You're saying this is not the case - right? "

That's correct. An external drive is a bad place for your applications.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David DiNennaRe: Where should my AE application reside?
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 8:38:37 pm

Thanks again Dave. I have a 720x480 video that I keyed in AE. I'm render right now (my system has dual 4GB drives) and it says it will take 18 hours. Does that sound normal?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 20, 2010 at 8:49:55 pm

[David DiNenna] "(my system has dual 4GB drives)"

What? How did you ever find drives that tiny? You need something bigger, my friend. Dual 400's are getting in the ballpark.

[David DiNenna] "...it says it will take 18 hours. Does that sound normal?"

If the comp is 10 seconds long, no. If it's three hours long, yes. if your computer's more than 5 years old, yes. If you made the mistake of trying to use Open GL, you should turn it off for rendering. If you're trying to use multiprocessing with only 4 GB RAM, don't. If you're trying to do something off the wall like keying MPEG video, you should read this:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]