ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking Issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damian LiveseyMotion Tracking Issues
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 4:04:49 pm

Hi I’m a university student working on a short film for a compositing module.

In the final shot of the movie there is a man throwing his head into a fish tank. The character needs two simple Fish Gills attached to each side of the neck, however this is my problem >-||

For previous shots we used corner pin track points which worked great but for this final shot we forgot to reapply them. Now due to the low light and underwater environment, I’m finding it extremely difficult to make a good track. I’ve experimented for days, used a number of different software’s, tried pre colouring the footage, even manually tracking but it’s just not working and I’m desperately running out of time.

I've posted the shot on a private Vimeo page the password is ‘gills’ and the link is below.

http://vimeo.com/11079146

If someone knows any techniques that might help or maybe a way of disguising the area around his neck so I can remove the gills altogether then please let me know.

Many Thanks
Damian.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motion Tracking Issues
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 4:43:03 pm

I know you don't want to hear this, but it's your best bet: re-shoot the aquarium shot. Apply gills to the talent via makeup.

You will drive yourself nuts trying to replicate this effect in AE, and getting to the point of being driven nuts will take precious time you don't have.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Viktor NuevoRe: Motion Tracking Issues
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 6:14:15 pm

I havent been able to see the videos since it says it´s password protected. Anyway I recommen you trying to do the tracking with mocha and then exporting to AE. I have shot crappy quality videos and tracked them with mocha with really great results.

KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Motion Tracking Issues
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 7:20:44 pm

Saw the video- yep, I see you sweating.
If what Dave suggested does not work (although it would be best), you may be able to track with Boujou or Syntheyes... but if you're not familiar with those, it would take you longer than to re-shoot.
One other thing to try is to see if you can fake the neck- roto the face around his jaw with some feathering, take a still that reveals the neck, clean up cloning to fill in behind the jaw, add the gills and animate behind the face loosely matching the real movement. Or just re-shoot...;-)

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Damian LiveseyRe: Motion Tracking Issues
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 9:35:11 pm

Thanks for all your responses :) I'd be happy to re-shoot however I found out our actor is out of the country and wont return until after my deadline.

Iv'e already spent hours experimented with Mocha & Bonjou but the result was still awful. However Iv'e never heard of Syntheyes so I might give that a go.

As for the fake neck approach, it's not ideal but its worth considering, Ive already rotoscoped around the head in an attempt to simply color grad the neck but the thought of re-animating never occurred to me.

In the meantime any other suggestions would still be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
Damian!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 20, 2010 at 10:16:24 pm

Okay, I realize that this project's for a compositing class, but I still feel compelled to put down the following:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dean SensuiRe: Motion Tracking Issues
by on Apr 21, 2010 at 7:50:45 am

[Dave LaRonde] "And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work."

And Dave, you know as well as the rest of us that the people who say that are NEVER the ones who sit in our chairs! :-)

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2010 at 1:13:59 pm

[Dean Sensui] "...the people who say that are NEVER the ones who sit in our chairs!"

If that chair is occupied by a person who gets paid for doing effects work and who has to meet deadlines, I wholeheartedly agree.

However, there's an entire crop of young, aspiring media practitioners who, much to Adobe's delight buy Adobe software, and whose train of thought runs something like this:

"I got an HDV camera... I got a laptop... I got Adobe Creative Suite... I got The World! How tough can it be to learn this stuff, anyway?"

They're convinced they can sit in the same chairs you do, and encountering them is like seeing a shark fin when swimming off the Great Barrier Reef.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]