ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Flower bloom logo reveal, any tips?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claes LindFlower bloom logo reveal, any tips?
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 12:58:09 pm

I could really use some help with this. I've been trying to figure out this effect for several days now and I just can't seem to get the result I'm going for.

The thing is that I've got a logo that I want to reveal through a stopmotion flower bloomish effect. So it would start as a small dot (or square or what ever) and then slowly grow to be fully revealed. Any suggestions of how I could achieve this effect?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Flower bloom logo reveal, any tips?
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 2:42:32 pm

We need to be more specific -- think like an effects person, not a client.
What do you want the logo to do?

- unfold in 3 dimensions? (get Forge Freeform (or CS5) or a 3D app)
- undistort in 2 dimensions? (use puppet tool or one of AE's distortion tools, possibly combined with scale)
- be undistorted, but be revealed by a mask that increases in size and shape (animate a mask, combined with scale)

You might want to do this in parts, where parts of the logo reveal themselves at different rates. You might also want to animate this in one comp, then drop that comp into another and apply Posterize Time to get the stop-motion look. Study timelapse videos of flowers.

Anybody else?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Flower bloom logo reveal, any tips?
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 2:49:00 pm

[Steve Roberts] "Anybody else? "

Short of recommending the use of a real-live 3D application, not really.

I'm with you Steve, the OP needs to sit down and storyboard out what he wants, which will then suggest the appropriate application for the job. Watching actual time lapse photography is a must.

An aside: Forge Freeform is now bundled with AE 10... and all the people who just bought the plugin are now saying, "Doh!"

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Flower bloom logo reveal, any tips?
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 2:48:28 pm

The thing about stop motion animation is that the objects are not always perfectly aligned in each frame since they are moved by hand in order to create the impression of movement. Also, the moves are not smooth- they are jerky (see the Fantastic Mr Fox- great movie).
So you need to replicate that in your animation.
Break down your logo in pieces.
Animate using movement/growth in one frame and then pause for 2-3 frames (that will make the object jump from one frame to the next and then stay there a few frames). Slightly rotate pieces also on the frames where there's movement/growth. Experiment with timing...
Hope that helps.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Claes LindRe: Flower bloom logo reveal, any tips?
by on Apr 25, 2010 at 8:37:44 am

Thanks for all your answers guys!

I kind of solved it through using CC Kaleida, some morphing and the puppet tool, then made some slight adjustments in the position to get the feeling of the stop motion timelapse.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved