ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Carousel transition effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander JonesCarousel transition effect
by on Apr 19, 2010 at 8:56:43 am

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to After Effects, but have a solid grasp of 3d etc. I want to create a sort of transition where I can turn a carousel of videos, rotating from one clip of interest to another, could anyone point me to a good way of doing this?

I tried rendering out from 3d a video of an object moving like a carousel and motion tracking it but as well as not working so well it seems a little stupid. Any help greatly appreciated, many thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Carousel transition effect
by on Apr 19, 2010 at 1:27:49 pm

Try searching the COW for "cover flow" or "carousel". This has been addressed several times before.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Carousel transition effect
by on Apr 19, 2010 at 2:26:21 pm

Make the video layers 3d layers
Based on how many videos you want to have on the carousel calculate the distance to the center of the circle and move all video layers in z space.
set null at original point - duplicate to match the number of videos + 1 (master null)
parent one video to one null
offset nulls angle on y axis incrementally to create circle (figure out angle based on number of videos)
Parent all nulls to a master null. This controls your carousel.
I am sure that there are faster ways of doing this, maybe using expressions but if you just need a quick fix this should work.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved