ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Suggestions on codec for HD rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Hare
Suggestions on codec for HD rendering
on Apr 18, 2010 at 11:27:35 pm

Hi all,

I am creating some 1080i25 graphics in After Effects that is for use on an Avid Nitris Symphony, using DNxHD185 codec. I am looking for suggestions on choice of codec, based on others experience.

At this stage I am rendering some tests, which run 10 seconds, and the file size is averaging around 225mb, so I would be interested in getting the size down a little without any noticable loss.

The graphics need to be uploaded to the web for delivery (especially important with the current european air crisis) so file size will make a huge difference. I am also considering the fact that much of the material for the programme was aquired on HD-XDcam so is only running at 50mB, so I wonder if providing graphics at 185mB is overkill.

I would be very interested to hear what others consider a worthy delivery format.

Thanks,

Jason

Return to posts index

Devin Termini
Re: Suggestions on codec for HD rendering
on Apr 18, 2010 at 11:44:46 pm

The Avid Symphony will like the DNxHD file best. If it's only 225 megabytes then go ahead and upload it to something like filedropper , or FTP it to them. This will most likely be your best solution.

If you absolutely must change to another format, try the Apple animation codec. If your composition is mostly graphical (text, shapes, solids, etc.) then it will work well. However, if you've got actual footage with lots of detail then you'll achieve almost no compression at all.

As a last resort, try MPEG 4 at a very high bitrate (>50Megabits). They'll have to transcode it on their end, but it will maintain a high level of quality.

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:47:15 am

Or try one of the lower quality DNx codecs. There is one around 120mbps.

Bear in mind that cameras that shoot HD at very low bit rates are using some kind of interframe compression which is fine for shooting but horrible for editing.
You could always use H.264 or mpeg4 but you will loose quality and it will need to be converted on the other side.

If you're using ftp to upload 225mb doesn't sound like too much to be honest. It shouldn't take more than maybe an hour or two to upload.

--------------
Jon Bagge
Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Viktor Nuevo
on Apr 19, 2010 at 8:45:08 am

Using .mov file format and animation codec will keep the quality and lower a bit the file size. Anyway, for smaller file sizes you could use H.264 but your quality will decrese...

KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:11:48 pm

[Jason Hare] "I am creating some 1080i25 graphics in After Effects that is for use on an Avid Nitris Symphony, using DNxHD185 codec."

You've answered your own question. Render in DNxHD185. If file size is an issue, it's clear that you need more storage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]