ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Speeding up Rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anna conlonSpeeding up Rendering
by on Apr 18, 2010 at 4:31:57 pm

I'm trying to get reacquainted with After effects and its all going ok so far...apart from my render times

I've read some tips about switching on multiprocessing but I cant select the box beside Render multiple frames simultaneously in preferences. I'm working with CS3 and I have a MAC OS X. I cant understand why I cant select this option does anyone have any ideas?

I've changed the RAM settings (according to After Effects suggestions in preference) but this has made no difference that I can see

any help would be greatly appreciated is too short

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Speeding up Rendering
by on Apr 18, 2010 at 4:48:39 pm

Make sure you have enough RAM- if you do not have 2GB per processing core then you'll probably get better times without multiprocessing.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

anna conlonRe: Speeding up Rendering
by on Apr 18, 2010 at 5:00:03 pm

ah I think that is my problem i noticed you've used the word per processor, This is my Mac spec

Model Name: iMac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac8,2
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2 GB

I'm going to be using after effects allot and I really want to be able to improve the speed of render. What do you recommend?

Thanks for your response

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Speeding up Rendering
by on Apr 18, 2010 at 5:11:34 pm

... with no changes to your particular hardware?

You can't improve the speed of render without changing your hardware. Since your hardware is base level (1 proc, 2 GB is barely capable), you can't use multiprocessing.

So you have to adjust your workflow to speed up RAM previews: only preview at low res, low magnification (e.g. 1/4 and 25%), with motion blur off, draft 3D, proxies, all that sort of thing, which should be covered in one section in the help. It means you have to preview a not-quite "full" movie, but that's the way we did it before multiprocessing and 20GB RAM.

But if you want to speed up the render of a high-quality full-res movie, with your particular machine (iMac G5), I'd have to say it can't be done. You need to buy a new computer.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 18, 2010 at 5:25:06 pm

right o that's allot of hard and fast answers Steve thanks you've saved me allot of time looking for tips that just wouldnt work.

I guess I'll have to improve my hard ware when my budget allows. I currently use my G5 with final cut compressor and DVD stuido pro to create wedding videos. I have no problems with those packages but I wanted to include a fancy new title sequence and motion menu using after effects. These are both very small parts of my over all videos so i'll struggle on for a while.

If I was investing what would you recommend for regular use of After Effects.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Speeding up Rendering
by on Apr 18, 2010 at 6:23:35 pm

After Effects depends on a fast processor and lots of RAM. Video editing apps largely depend on fast hard drives, but with codecs such as DV, they don't even need that any more.

Video editing apps generally just play video footage off hard drives. Occasionally they use processor power to generate (render) new frames when effects are applied. On the other hand, After Effects uses the processor to generate all frames. All the time, every movie, for the entire movie. Every frame is generated fresh, even when it hasn't been changed.

So the processor is key, and more processors are better, especially when you have a lot of RAM to allow the use of multiprocessing. For that you need 2GB of RAM per processor. Since you have only one processor, you can't use multiprocessing.

What kind of hardware would you need? After checking the system requirements for CS4 or 5, you should get the fastest processors, most RAM you can afford, at 2 GB per processor. After that, have enough drives for system, sources and projects (that would be three). I won't be more specific than that, because it just doesn't matter. AE has always been this way: proc, RAM, drive.

... and get a really nice ergonomic chair. I'm dead serious. And consider a Wacom tablet if you want to avoid carpal tunnel issues.

There should be some hardware/AE threads already up on the COW.

Return to posts index

Charles TaylorRe: Speeding up Rendering
by on Apr 18, 2010 at 7:51:43 pm

For casual use (which is what it sounds like you're talking about), I would recommend a 27" iMac with the Core i5 and 8 gigs of ram.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 18, 2010 at 10:40:35 pm

thanks everyone for your suggestions and explanations inparticular steve you've gone into allot of detail

and I hear ya about ergonomic chair! really need to invest i'm crippled at the moment! havent heard of Wacom (not sure if their in Ireland) but i'm going to look into it!

cheers everyone

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved