ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HD to SD ccaling problem due to aspect ratio differences between CS3 and CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Wi
HD to SD ccaling problem due to aspect ratio differences between CS3 and CS4
on Apr 18, 2010 at 2:11:12 pm

I've made a project in AE cs3, working with PAL-settings. The movie is shot with a Panasonic HVX200, in 720x1440 with pixel aspect ratio 1.33.

This footage is imported into a 720x1280 square pixel comp.

I've made the project so that I can render the movie in HD and SD. I've imported the 720x1280 squarepix-comp into a 567x720 with pixel aspect ratio 1.42 (the old one). And scaled down to 80%. Then I get a perfect down-scaled Standard Definition of the movie.

This works great in AE cs3.

But when I've upgraded to cs4 with the new pixel aspect ratios, I get a problem.

Because of the new pixel aspect ratios on Standard Definition video, the result is not the same in the down-scaled comp.

I get black bars to the left and to the right on the video!

How can I fix this the right way?

I'm wondering if the movie has the right pixel aspect ratio now in SD, since it's shot in HD, that has the right ratio, and I'm only down-scaling to SD(not actually shooting in SD) shouldn't I use the old ratio?

The obvious way would be to stretch the video so that it covers the frame, but that can not be the right way, could it?

Hope you can help men on this! This is a really big production for me and my friends and we really need to get it right!

Return to posts index

David Wi
Re: HD to SD ccaling problem due to aspect ratio differences between CS3 and CS4
on Apr 18, 2010 at 2:25:24 pm

says: 720x1440
should be: 720x960

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
Re: HD to SD ccaling problem due to aspect ratio differences between CS3 and CS4
on Apr 18, 2010 at 7:20:53 pm

567x720 with pixel aspect ratio 1.42

Should be 720x576

I don't see how CS4 aspect ratios should be any different, except there might be different templates.

Are you sure you've interpreted the footage correctly? If you're relying on AE to do it automatically maybe there is a difference between what it chooses in CS3 and CS3.
Try to set it manually.

--------------
Jon Bagge
Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:18:24 pm

At the request of as number of camera manufacturers, Adobe messed with the H&V resolution of comp presets so they better reflect reality instead of tradition.

You can read all about it in AE Help, or you can just ignore it like I do. I doubt it will be of any great use until everybody gets on board.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]