ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Masks from Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily GainesMasks from Text
by on Apr 17, 2010 at 4:41:20 am

Hello,

I am attempting to create a masks from a text layer in AE CS4 and when I do so, the text becomes white. I saw someone else's post about this recently, but he was using the "write on" effect. I simply want a background with one color and black text and to be able to animate the characters using mask paths. Can anyone tell me how to make the text remain black instead of white?

Thank you,
Emily

Emily E. Gaines
MA in Film and Video Candidate, '10
American University

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Masks from Text
by on Apr 17, 2010 at 3:14:19 pm

I'm not sure I understand how you turned the black text to white or what you're trying to achieve, but perhaps this will help ... if text is made of mask paths on a solid, it will either have the color of the solid layer the masks are drawn on or no color at all depending on the mask mode used. So, all you need to do to make black text out of mask paths is draw the masks on a black solid.

Return to posts index

Emily GainesRe: Masks from Text
by on Apr 17, 2010 at 5:14:27 pm

Thanks. When I create a black solid, put a type layer on top and select "create masks from text" and then invert the mask, the text becomes black, but I am left with a white background, despite the fact that the composition background is set to a green color.

Basically all I want to do is have a composition with a green background and black text. I want to use masks created from the text to manipulate the shape of the text over time. When I go to Layers - create masks from text, the text switches from black to white. I just cannot figure out why.

Thanks,
Emily

Emily E. Gaines
American University

Return to posts index

Emily GainesRe: Masks from Text
by on Apr 17, 2010 at 6:12:46 pm

I think I've figured it out. I needed to adjust the "Solid Settings" for the mask layer from white to black.

Many thanks,
Emily

Emily E. Gaines
American University

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]