ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

extremely choppy video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kristian thornblomextremely choppy video
by on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:48:42 pm

Hello i got this problem.

i made this little fast piece of work for a client. using Suretarget moving through A to B
when i rendering out the raw-AVI and then convert it to H264 (or the client version WMV) the footage gets extremely choppy (shakey) and not so smooth when played in windows mediaplayer or VlC player.

here is a video.

orginal composition.
Square Pixels
25 frames per second.
motionblur on

any clue to solve this matter?

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: extremely choppy video
by on Apr 16, 2010 at 6:40:55 pm

Well, normally, pans like that are choppy. It's an optical phenomenon sometimes called "judder". The only way to avoid it is to change the motion from a simple pan to something more complex, to introduce distracting elements, or to use a faster frame rate or interlacing ... and sometimes none of those are possible. But hey ... feature films have the same problem, and it's accepted.

HOWEVER ... yours is worse than normal judder, and at low quality I don't think normal judder is the issue in the case of your video. At low quality, you get what looks like pulldown jerk (stop it!) or something like that. This high/low quality issue may be a clue -- it may be the player?

1) under what circumstances has it ever played properly? RAM preview in AE? QT export of AE-rendered Animation codec movie?
(I'd render a movie out of AE to the Animation or PNG codec, then use QT Player to export to H.264 Quicktime movie. Basically, change your workflow to try to isolate the cause.)

2) your judder is uneven. Something tells me that one of your compressing apps is making a 29.97 movie out of your material and messing it up. Or maybe it's making a 15 fps movie, come to think of it. What is the frame rate of all the compressed movies, and what are the frame rate settings in your pipeline?

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: extremely choppy video
by on Apr 16, 2010 at 8:37:24 pm

good news is im 90% sure its a frame rate conversion thing, plus the facts Steve mentioned are valid as well. Bad News is, at least from ME, is, im not sure where it would have happened. Keep your frame rates consistent whenever possible to help yourself out.

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: extremely choppy video
by on Apr 16, 2010 at 9:08:51 pm

At least in PAL land everything is 25fps so that makes it easier.

But some media encoders will default to 15fps if you select an 'encode for web' type template. I'd look at that first.

You can also look at increasing the motion blur in AE by adjusting the shutter angle in your composition settings. That might help.

Also, is this ultimately intended for TV or web? If it's for TV you should consider field rendering it. Or possibly field render a version for TV, and not for web.

Jon Bagge
Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Monica PeñaRe: extremely choppy video
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:47:50 pm

I had the same problem but with text, and the frame rate change solved my problem. Really thanks!!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved