ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Projection on a banner

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Koyama
Projection on a banner
on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:23:26 pm

what video format rendering is the best for projection on a banner, having in mind that the video will be played from a computer that is hooked on a projector machine.

The banner will be huge ( 4ft by 18 ft) and extremely vertical.

I'm assuming it'll have to be square pixels, with the banner dimensions?

I'm afraid it'll look pixelated, since the banner it huge.

Any opinions on how to proceed with this?

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: Projection on a banner
on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:41:59 pm

The issue is not the size of the banner, it is the distance from the viewer ... in other words, the apparent size, not the actual size. You could get by with a lower res if the banner is farther away. I hope that makes sense.

But. The limiting factor is the playback device and projector. What size, data rate of file can it play back?

Maybe you could go for H.264, high-def. And yes, square pixels, since you're playing back on a computer with a projector designed to play back from computers. And I think you'd have to make a video that fits the normal aspect ratio of the display device (4:3, 16:9, whatever) that has black bars on the sides. Or maybe mask the lens with some kind of matte box.

You might also want to post this in the live & stage events forum, since they know a lot about this sort of thing, in general.

Return to posts index

Kate Koyama
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:42:48 pm

I thought that since it'd be played form the computer the composition size could be anything. But I guess you're saying I'll have to fit the regular project ratio is due to the projector display right?

The banner will be hanged at the top, and they are pretty skinny width wise. So I'm afraid using the black bards will affect other trade stands around.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:33:13 pm

Yes, the movie can be any size. But your computer's hard drive should be able to play it back smoothly. If your video is 1800x4000, it might not play back well, depending on the codec you use. This can only be determined (for sure) by testing on the playback device.

Yes, the projector projects a wide rectangle of light, either 4:3 or 16:9, unless there's a new one I don't know about. If your video is tall and narrow, and you set the player (Quicktime or Windows Media Player) to play full screen, it would probably play a tall image with black bars on the sides.

I hope you're not thinking that purely black bars would be projected on anything ... that's like projecting darkness in a lit room. ;-) They would only be a minor problem if they weren't quite black -- if they were just bright enough to be brighter than the area around them ... kind of like the difference between the letterbox bars on a video and the black frame of the TV set. Y'know? However, I don't think that you'd see those not-quite-black bars, but if they're a problem, mask off the lens with black camera tape, cardboard or whatever.

Hey. Get a hold of the AV company doing the job and talk to them. They should have a solution.

... and you must do your own testing, by the way. Asking questions on the internet is only the beginning.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 16, 2010 at 6:20:31 pm

[Steve Roberts] "You might also want to post this in the live & stage events forum, since they know a lot about this sort of thing, in general. "

Steve, thanks for sending this our way, and for all your good advice above. Kate started a new thread on this topic in the Live & Stage Events forum, too, if anyone is interested.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]