ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

using keylight to key out white background?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patryk Rebisz
using keylight to key out white background?
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:25:20 pm

I have a problematic bunch of shots where the subject was recorded on white background, but the white background is... well, grayish rather then white. I thought to use keylight to keyout the white (gray) but each time I apply it it does nothing to the footage. Amy I using a wrong plug-in here?

Patryk Rebisz
Director/DP
http://www.patrykrebisz.com
(917) 291-2565

Return to posts index

Ken Evans
Re: using keylight to key out white background?
on Apr 16, 2010 at 1:15:56 pm

I've found that keylight works well in some scenarios and bad in others. Try the colour keyer instead.

Return to posts index

Matthew Woods
on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:47:10 pm

I don't find the color keyer very clean. The best way I find to key something on a white or black backdrop is to duplicate the layer, desaturate the top layer (either with hue saturation, or shift channels whichever gives you the best result, The black and white effect in CS5 might work well too). Then use the levels effect to get a high contrast silhouette. Finally, set the lower layer to use the top layer as either a luma matte, or inverted luma matte depending on if you started with a white or black backdrop.

Hope that helps,

-Matt

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:33:27 pm

Here's my AE cs3 procedural keyer for luma/sat.

use matte adj controls layer to create a procedural matte keyer using the inner/outer sliders

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AA6X17LF

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Patryk Rebisz
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:00:30 pm

Chris can you elaborate just a bit?

Patryk Rebisz
Director/DP
http://www.patrykrebisz.com
(917) 291-2565

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:08:42 pm

I made an easy to use matte keyer. Simply select the matte adj controls composition and click on the adjustment layer.

Its effect controls inner/outer b/w mattes are scripted to
run an alpha/saturation channel on your footage that you can see in the output composition.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 19, 2010 at 4:46:09 pm

[Chris Wright] "I made an easy to use matte keyer. Simply select the matte adj controls composition and click on the adjustment layer.

Its effect controls inner/outer b/w mattes are scripted to run an alpha/saturation channel on your footage that you can see in the output composition. "

Forgive me, but that sounds like the inventor who tries to create the perfect waterproof screen door for a submarine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Ruckert
on Apr 18, 2010 at 5:32:43 am

keylight pulls very good keys on chroma (color, green or blue) but us useless on pulling keys on white.
It is not you, it is keylight. Procedural keying is the only way to go, albeit more complicated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 19, 2010 at 1:24:38 pm

Folks, there's a reason why blue screen and green screen techniques were developed.

IT'S BECAUSE KEYING OFF OF WHITE DOESN'T WORK! Cripes, doesn't anybody get that?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Oliver Smith
on Aug 7, 2010 at 9:06:29 am

A (half) decent way to key away a white background is to use keylight to pick the colours of your subject until it disappears leaving only the white background, and then use this layer as an Alpha Inverted Matte of the same bit of footage...

This has worked well for me in the past

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Aug 19, 2010 at 6:25:45 am

Ultra will do it.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Aug 19, 2010 at 7:44:02 am

Granted, there was no real white in that flower, and one click gave me that key. Here's alot harded one where I had to tweek it, still not perfect but it will depend on how much white is in your clip.

Return to posts index

John Gerome
on Jun 15, 2017 at 8:31:33 pm

Here's a solution for keying out white on high contrast material. I've got a silhouetted couple dancing on a white background. First I added a Hue/Saturation effect, and colorized the whole thing turning the white area green. The black parts stay black because they were black to begin with, and they don't change therefore - but the white does. Next I use the Keylight effect, and using the screen colour picker, I select the green. That's it.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Jun 17, 2017 at 6:43:58 am

For Hi-Con matte extraction, I find the extract effect suitable. For
Edges, I use refine soft matte effect. I recommend the keying course by Mark Christiansen on Lynda the shows this technique and more.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]