ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

thinking to buy a new machine... any comments?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerardo Floresthinking to buy a new machine... any comments?
by on Apr 16, 2010 at 2:25:01 am

Hello every one...
I have spend my last months learning how to use this beutifull after effects program...
I am really inlove with after effects....

But I am using it now with mac book pro with just
2Gb of ram... as you know I am feeling that Im waiting all my life

Im relly decide to buy some new equipment and I got some offer that incluid...
•APPLE- Mac Pro Quad 2,66 Ghz
One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6GB (3x2GB)
640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
One 18x SuperDrive
• 3 SEAGATE-Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB
Disco duro SATA-II a 7200 rpm de 1000GB. 32MB de caché
• 1 Matrox-MCHD Matrox Compress HD

But Im not sure If it will be better more ram instead the matrox card...
and those 3 barracuda It is not too much?

Or maybe you can give me some other tips...

Thank you for everything ...
I got really god info in creativecow you are awesome¡¡¡¡¡

Thats my real name :)

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: thinking to buy a new machine... any comments?
by on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:40:59 am

If its After Effects performance you want then RAM is most important. 6GB is not nearly enough, particularly for CS5 and 64 bit. 16 to 32 GB is more like it.

If you're compressing lots of video the Matrox card will help but again with CS5 Adobe's media encoder will be pretty fast.

3TB, I've not got 12 TB, not all online but storage is cheap at $100 a bare 1TB drive. You can always add more later....

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: thinking to buy a new machine... any comments?
by on Apr 16, 2010 at 9:02:42 pm

the thing I look for in my ae machine (on a mac) is a MINIMUM of 2 gigs of ram per core of CPU. In your case, minimum of 8. BUT, cs5 changes things somewhat, and the more memory the better.
Also, MULTIPLE large screen hi res monitors. Todays HD video requirements really need space to breath.
I did not notice you mention screens. I LOVE the Dell 30inch screen over apples. (I have both) better image better price and more versatile positioning. (and I love all things apple, so recommending Dell anything is odd from me) Personally I want an 8 core machine. I would even consider a slightly older mac, in that the pricing is so much better than the new towers. Lots of fast internal storage is nice to have as well. Dont know the matrox card well.... try and get at card with 512 megs on it if you can.
Overall, you will NEVER regret the purchase of great monitors, and they WILL make you more productive.
And lots of memory would be second. # of cores third. video card 4th hard drives 5th

good luck, and consider refurbished machines from the apple store. I almost always buy refurbished and use some of the savings on an applecare plan. Its a win win with no risk.

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: thinking to buy a new machine... any comments?
by on Apr 17, 2010 at 1:51:30 am

My only recommended changes would be:

-You don't need the Radeon HD 4870, that's over kill for AE. Your GPU will have almost no effect on AE performance.

-You should get the 8-core machine. This will improve performance dramatically with "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" enabled.

-As suggested, you want as much RAM as economically possible. Do NOT have Apple pre-install additional RAM, they charge a ridiculous amount. Use a 3rd party vendor like:

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved