ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

TV Lines effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher HolmesTV Lines effect
by on Apr 16, 2010 at 1:37:19 am

Hi there,

First time poster, was hoping I could get some help!
Its not a specific related AE question although I am working with AE while trying to do this...

Basically I have a 1280x720 PSD file that has alternating black and white horizontal lines, ala tv lines effect. I've imported this into AE to get my effect and set it to Silouette Alpha. So far so good, however when I export the footage and run it in a media player, I have tried both windows media player and VLC, the black lines fade after about a second. I have confirmed that the lines ARE there by reimporting into AE and checking the timeline.

So I can only assume that its a feature of media player software which is incorrectly identifying the footage as interlaced with missing frames and therefore dumping the black, I want to stop this from happening...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Danny WinnRe: TV Lines effect
by on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:18:22 am

Naw, it's not the media player. It's been my experience that sometimes after rendering out, the effect is less intense than desired. I would just go back into AE and bump the effect parameters up more so it looks more intense than you really want it.

After that just rerender and output and see what you've got.

I'm not sure why this happens but I have definitly experienced it.

Return to posts index

Christopher HolmesRe: TV Lines effect
by on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:52:03 am

Thanks for the quick response. However, I can literally see the effect fade out after 1 second, very obviously too. the effect looks perfect during that one second and then very visually and deliberately vanishes completely.

Anyway I decided to test out compressing it, so took the uncompressed footage and converted it to h.264 with a standard web bitrate and it actually brought the lines back, I'm guessing that viewing the uncompressed footage (with the black lines being literally, true black) it mistook them for interlaced frames as I originally thought and the resulting mp4 with its imperfections, played back completely fine.

I'm not sure if that's what happened or not but I can't think of any other reason for it. Something for others to keep an eye out for if they're ever in a similar situation.

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved