ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE to Maya... Extreme script wanted

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel BenjaminAE to Maya... Extreme script wanted
by on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:52:24 am

Ok, I know that this is possible but do NOT have the MEL script (well, nor the actionscript) knowledge to make it happen.

MoCon has a fantastic script taking After Effects camera data and object data and exporting it into a Maya friendly ASCII file.

Great, I love it!

But I want more.
I'm actually willing to pay for this if someone can pull it off, but here's what my dream is:

Export not only camera data, and object position/scale/rotation data, but ALSO do the following:

1) check the source image of that layer in After Effects
1A) creates a plane in Maya whose size matches the source image
1B) creates a material in Maya whose color/transparency match the source image file

Basically I'm working on a long-term project (currently in year 2 of 4 years) and while I love working in After Effects, the 3D capabilities, especially in terms of lighting and shadows, are a bit limited. I would LOVE to convert to working in Maya, but everything is much MUCH easier to lay out in After Effects given that I'm working with literally thousands of layers of photoshop files that After Effects reads natively without any pain-in-my-neck where Maya needs much more ... finessing, shall we say.

I know it's a dream script.

But let me know if there are any optimists!

Return to posts index

Peter O'ConnellRe: AE to Maya... Extreme script wanted
by on Apr 18, 2010 at 6:07:45 am

Hi, why not contact Barry Berman directly (the guy who wrote the mocon scripts)?

Rogue Keyframe
Feature Film Compositing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved