ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Converting a PAL project to NTSC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
simon kennedy
Converting a PAL project to NTSC
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:38:33 pm

Hi,

I have a complex 4 minute music video, I shot and edited it in PAL 25p (720p).

I need to produce a copy for Cable TV in America.

Is it possible to convert from Pal to NTSC?

I have tried the Frame rate convertor from Andrew Kramer on an exported (lossless) .mov file, but while this provides smooth motion playback, whenever there is a cut between two clips, artifacts are visible (as I would expect due to the software interpolation adding the frames).

Can anyone help me with a way to do this?

I am considering getting it done with Alchemist but I hear this may not be the best quality solution.

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
Re: Converting a PAL project to NTSC
on Apr 15, 2010 at 5:42:53 pm

Any conversion method you use is likely to give 'blending' of one sort or another between shots.

Is this an AE Project? Depending on how complex it is it may be possible to re-render using a different framerate, especially if your elements are stills or generated and not footage with an inherent framerate.

I'd expect running it through an Alchemist or other high-end converter would give the best results, but it would depend on what budget you have available.

--------------
Jon Bagge
Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

simon kennedy
on Apr 15, 2010 at 7:02:43 pm

Jon,

Thanks a lot for the response.

This is a Premiere project, but I tend to import to After Effects and export from there after fine tuning colour etc.

The project consists of CGI with green-screened footage, shot in PAL.

Are you saying that even if I go for the Alchemist route there will still be blending between frames either side of a cut?

The project is pretty complex, 250 odd clips all of which would need to be individually rerendered from 25 to 29.97, so a fair bit of work, although I would do it if it would give a better result than paying for Alchemist...

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
on Apr 16, 2010 at 10:22:08 am

Are you saying that even if I go for the Alchemist route there will still be blending between frames either side of a cut?

Hm, well you have a progressive project so I'm not quite sure how that would work out. When I've done conversion of interlaced projects you'd get frames inbetween cuts that have one field from one shot and the second from another. I guess that's not really 'blending' quite in the same way as the motion blending you'd get inside shots when converting.

--------------
Jon Bagge
Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]