ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making an AE file interactive? Clickable buttons in an After Effects Presentation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Thompson
Making an AE file interactive? Clickable buttons in an After Effects Presentation
on Apr 14, 2010 at 4:32:19 pm

Hi,

I supposed to create a PowerPoint presentation with all sorts of animation in it. I know this animation would be much easier to do in After Effects so I would prefer to do it in there. The only thing that I need to do in PowerPoint that I am not sure if I can do in AE, is make the file interactive. So my questions are...

1. Can I make a slideshow presentation in AE that at the end of each slide waits for me to click before it goes to the next slide?

2. Is it possible to add multiple clickable buttons to a slide where each button links to other slides

If this is not possible in AE, is there any other software solution that someone recommends? Would it be possible to do the animation for each slide in AE and then import the AE file into some other software?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: Making an AE file interactive? Clickable buttons in an After Effects Presentation
on Apr 14, 2010 at 5:29:15 pm

1. AE can't make slide shows. It can make Quicktime movies, SWFs and FLVs. Basically.

You should make a movie (choose from the above) for each slide, then import each into Powerpoint and use Powerpoint's interactivity.

2. No. Not in AE. You'd have to do that in Powerpoint (?) or Flash. I recommend making your movies then finding someone who knows Flash.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Making an AE file interactive? Clickable buttons in an After Effects Presentation
on Apr 14, 2010 at 5:30:10 pm

AE doesn't do interactive. You might try Flash or Director.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Making an AE file interactive? Possible with AFX and Flash
on Apr 14, 2010 at 8:55:51 pm

After Effects can't do it alone.

I've done this many times in the past, I do many awards shows where the presenter or someone behind the scenes controls the presentation using a keyboard.

All the animations/videos were done in After Effects and rendered as FLV's with compression settings to keep quality high, so the bitrate is very high since the presentation is run from a hard drive.

The last one I completed (last week) consisted of 51 individual flv's which would stop when they completed, the Flash player cues the next one up and when the presenter presses a key (your choice of which key) the next one plays.

In addition 45 of the animations had stop points set in After Effects with markers so there was additional control possible.

The video player uses an XML file set up as a video list which Flash can read and store the sequence of the FLV's.

F4V doesn't work since it won't record the markers from After Effects.

If you know enough Flash and Action Script you may be able to do this, if not find a good Flash programmer – I did.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]