COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
Creative COW
After Effects CS5 New Features: Working with 64-Bit
on Apr 14, 2010 at 3:05:47 pm

Adobe After Effects
After Effects CS5: Working with 64-BitAfter Effects CS5: Working with 64-Bit

In this video tutorial, Richard Harrington shows you how to utilize the 64-bit enhancements in After Effects CS5.

Tutorial, Video Tutorial   04/14/2010
Author: Richard Harrington

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
Re: After Effects CS5 New Features: Working with 64-Bit
on Apr 14, 2010 at 10:45:56 pm

I'm very confused about your comment in the video… I presume AE can address more RAM than 3GB per core? That's something you could do in CS4 already given it's split up in X amounts of processes (in general 1 process per 2 cores was quite optimal) which in the end was a huge limitation. I'd presume with true 64-bit, AE can address the same amount of RAM the OS allows it to allocate which should be AT LEAST 32GB on OSX per instance of the application (i.e. on a wintel system with 96GB of RAM in theory you should be able to have at least 6 instances with 16GB each if needed).

Have I gotten this wrong?

I do reckon your notion of having ≈3-4GB of RAM per core is a reasonable figure to go for but I would think (and hope) AE can adress more than 3GB of RAM per core. Otherwise I've missed something vital in the 64-bit transition.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 14, 2010 at 11:06:00 pm

Right, digging around a bit I found this page:

http://blogs.adobe.com/keyframes/2010/04/faster.htm

In the comment section you see the following:

Question
Does this mean that in a Core i7, instead of needing 2GB per core (quad-core: 4 x 2GB = 8GB + overhead for OS & AE), After Effects can now use 2GB per thread (eight threads: 8 x 2GB = 16GB + overhead). If so, my 12GB rig looks meager.

Instead of 'threads, think 'processes'. It's more accurate for this discussion. So, with native 64-bit After Effects CS5, each core can use more ram, up to the available RAM on the system… In addition, you're no longer limited to 2-4GB per process. If you were rendering big things and only had 8 gb, you could give all 8 GB to one process, (i.e. turn off the "render multiple frames simultaneous" checkbox in the preferences).

Given these are very nice movies, I'd almost go as far as saying the info in the video is incorrect if what's posted on the Adobe blog is true. AE is NOT limited to the amount of processors you have to address RAM, it's only limited by available RAM in your hardware.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 15, 2010 at 12:25:05 am

From AE CS5 livedocs, it seems that multiprocessing works the same on CS5 as it did on CS4 -- it launches a separate process for each core (though CS5 supports hyperthreading and can take advantage of virtual cores).

That means that if you want to use multiprocessing in order to render multiple frames simultaneously, you'll still need a healthy amount of RAM for each process.

However, if you turn multiprocessing off, your renders will be slower, but even a single process should be able to access all the available RAM in your system, which means larger comps, bigger image buffers, deeper color, and longer RAM previews.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:35:19 am

That sounds correct given the blog does state they've reworked a lot of the internals i AE for the 64-bit transition and improved the multi-core handling.

The key-phrase from the help doc however:

After Effects CS5 is a 64-bit application, so each process can use all of the RAM addressed by 64-bit Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Mac OS operating systems.

Yes, you can use multiple instances of CS5 to render multiple frames at a time. The benefit of 64-bit is that these aren't limited to RAM-constrains more than what your system has. A MacPro with 32GB of RAM could have:

- 16 instance with 2GB each
- 8 instances with 4GB each
- 4 instances with 8GB each
- 2 instances with 16GB each
- 1 instance with 32GB for it self.

In CS4, this would be impossible. There the limit was ≈3GB / instance as with most 32-bit applications.

If you look at HP-workstations they can have 96GB of RAM for an 8-core system. Here you could easily address 16-24GB for 4-6 instances. This is the power of 64-bit when working with either large or complex comps. And again, this information is completely wrong in this movie.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 16, 2010 at 8:08:51 pm

Erik, you're completely correct. I tried to add a little more specificity to your comments on the video. Hopefully we'll clear this up.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]