ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animation starts at begining of comp not at marker

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Minnaar
Animation starts at begining of comp not at marker
on Apr 14, 2010 at 9:49:40 am

Hi chaps, have searched these pages, but cannot find my answer.

My problem, when setting an effect simulation or text animator, the animation is starting at the beginning of the comp and not at the marker point like it used to. I have tried to see if the forces/animators can be adjusted in the layers to make them trigger at a desired point, but I'm not having any joy.

I fear I may have clicked on something in the settings somewhere that changes the way these animators work in the layer, to start at the beginning and not at the marker point.

Any help.

Thanks
P

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Animation starts at begining of comp not at marker
on Apr 14, 2010 at 5:13:56 pm

Paul, I'd love to help but I don't understand the problem you're describing.
"My problem, when setting an effect simulation or text animator, the animation is starting at the beginning of the comp and not at the marker point like it used to."

Do you mean when you do a RAM preview? If so, open the time controls panel and check "From Current Time".
"I have tried to see if the forces/animators can be adjusted in the layers to make them trigger at a desired point, but I'm not having any joy."

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean there. What "forces/animators" are you referring to?

-E

Return to posts index

Paul Minnaar
on Apr 15, 2010 at 7:13:45 am

Hi Erik. Thanks for the response.

Let me try and explain better.

Lets say you have a comp that is 1 minute long and at 30 seconds into the comp, you want animated text to bounce on. Normally you would place
the time marker at 30seconds and set the animation preset. The text would then bounce onto the screen at 30seconds.

What is happening now, is that any animation preset I put in is starting at 00:00 and not at the point at which I want it to.

Does that make more sense ?

Thanks
P

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:02:46 pm

Oooooh, OK. I got it now. But unfortunately I don't know why it would be doing that. Sorry. Hopefully someone else may know the answer.

-E

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 18, 2010 at 3:35:13 pm

How, exactly, are you applying the animation preset? Are you, for example, creating a text layer and then dragging the animation preset from the Effects & Presets panel onto the layer in the Timeline panel? Or are you not creating a text layer first and are double-clicking the animation preset in the Effects & Presets panel, which creates a new layer with the animation preset applied?

I'm guessing that it is the latter, and you have the Create Layers At Composition Start Time preference set, so the new layer is created at the beginning of the composition. In other words, I think that this is about layer creation more than animation preset application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 18, 2010 at 3:38:07 pm

BTW, the current-time indicator isn't a "marker". Your original phrasing threw me, because I thought that you were using markers.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Paul Minnaar
on Apr 19, 2010 at 7:08:35 am

Hi Todd, thanks for posting.

In reply to both of your posts:

Firstly I must apologise for using the term 'marker' as I could not think of the 'current-time indicator' term at the time.

For years, this has never given me issues, so this is why it had me baffled.

This is how I would do it: Simply type in my text with the text tool, which AE will automatically make a new layer and set the beginning of the layer to 'current time indicator'. I would then set my 'current time indicator' at the position at which I'd like my text preset animator to occur, and the 'animator' keyframes in the text layer would appear at that point.

What was happening, is that these animator keyframes, the animator preset, were occurring at the beginning of the entire timeline - at 00:00 and I could not find the keyframes to move them up.

I have just now, started another comp to test it again - and now see that all is working fine. There may well have been something wrong with my project settings on the one I was having problems with - who knows what? Point is, it happened and I was wondering if there is perhaps a button that may have been ticked for this to happen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]