ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What is a good rig for AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan JacobsenWhat is a good rig for AE?
by on Apr 14, 2010 at 9:01:09 am

Hi all,

We are going to upgrade our AE at work to a new machine and CS5, we currently use a G5 and CS3.

I had some questions about a good rig to run it on. I mostly do shortform and often have to show what I have done quickly, so a fast RAM preview is ideal.

1)Is there any difference in stability between running AE on a PC to a Mac?

2)What kind of hardware should I ask for for both options?

3) If we go the PC route, we need to run an avid on the same machine, this means we can't run Win 7. Is Vista 64 any good for AE? Or should I look at other OSs?

4) Will Vista 64 allow multi core processing? Currently on the G5 I leave this off as there is a huge delay at the start and end of processing, I'd heard Intel chips don't do this.

5) Will Vista 64 allow use of more than 3GB of Ram (which is what I'm currently stuck with)

Any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: What is a good rig for AE?
by on Apr 14, 2010 at 9:09:10 am

regarding XP64 here's an official post:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/03/64-bit-kernels-and-after-effec.h...
Any new Mac will do, as long as you have plenty of RAM- enough to give 2Gb/processing core
For PC I have a Dell XPS H2C station and I'm happy with it- a bit cheaper than the Mac (I have one of those as well).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Dan JacobsenRe: What is a good rig for AE?
by on Apr 14, 2010 at 10:20:52 am

Hi, Thanks for the response.

Has anyone got any views on PC vs Mac for AE?

Or any specific hardware or OS suggestions?

If we go the PC route they will probably install AE on the existing PC in here. I've just looked up its specs:

Win XP Prof
X5450 @ 3.00Ghz 8 CPUs
3GB Memory
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700

How does that sound?

Better than a G5 I guess?

I suppose I should put a different OS and more RaAM on it though?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: What is a good rig for AE?
by on Apr 14, 2010 at 4:49:09 pm

[Dan Jacobsen] "Win XP Prof
X5450 @ 3.00Ghz 8 CPUs
3GB Memory
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 "

AE CS5 will not install on this machine. It requires a 64-bit OS: on Windows, it needs to be 64-bit Vista or Win7.

That's a cripplingly small amount of RAM -- I'd ask for at least 16GB.

I also haven't seen anything that indicates AE CS5 will use the graphics card for acceleration; if it's like CS4, the Quadro will be overkill, unless other apps you will run on that machine benefit from it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: What is a good rig for AE?
by on Apr 14, 2010 at 10:37:43 am

1)Is there any difference in stability between running AE on a PC to a Mac?

In my experience it's the same. So go with whatever you prefer. Although PC's give you some more configuration options, and you can get much faster PC's if you're prepared to pay for it.

3) If we go the PC route, we need to run an avid on the same machine, this means we can't run Win 7. Is Vista 64 any good for AE? Or should I look at other OSs?

Avid MC 5.0 now supports Windows 7. (released in June) Initial support is for Win 7 Professional 64.

4) Will Vista 64 allow multi core processing? Currently on the G5 I leave this off as there is a huge delay at the start and end of processing, I'd heard Intel chips don't do this.

It should do. And new CS5 is meant to be faster at starting up multicore.

5) Will Vista 64 allow use of more than 3GB of Ram (which is what I'm currently stuck with)

Yes. With Vista64/Win 7 64 your RAM limit is now going to be how much your motherboard is capable of supporting. (though I believe Win 7 Home versions might have a limit?)

And go for as much RAM as you think you can afford. 12GB isn't unreasonable to ask for. Or 24GB..
Intel has now released 6 core chips. With a dual 5600 series Xeon machine you're looking at 24 threads with hyperthreading...

--------------
Jon Bagge
Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]