ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to create a Heavenly Glow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cody Kyle
How to create a Heavenly Glow
on Apr 13, 2010 at 6:49:37 pm

I am trying to create a heavenly glow (light Rays coming from behind) in Adobe After Effects in CS3 and I was wondering can this be achieved with CC Light Ray. I want the glow to be behind the cut out image, how do I set it behind, or is their an easier way?

Sincerely,
Perplexed

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: How to create a Heavenly Glow
on Apr 13, 2010 at 8:09:24 pm

Do you already have your image cut out? If not, you may have to do some rotoscoping first.

Once you have your cut-out done. You will want to have three layers. Two are of the cut-out and one is the background. Apply your CC Light Ray effect (along with any other colorization and glow effects you want) to the middle layer.

There is going to be a lot more little tweaks you can do (such as setting the mask expansion to negative and feathering it on your top layer to get some light wrap) but this should set you on the right path.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Cody Kyle
on Apr 13, 2010 at 8:30:07 pm

That worked great but the light ray fills the entire screen. I only need it to be around the cut out its self I tried making the effect on the cut out layer to no effect and I cant get the settings tight enough around the object to not bleed out into the screen any suggestions on how to fix this?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 13, 2010 at 9:50:57 pm

One way would be to precompose your glow layer and use a mask on it. My computer's doing a render or I'd toy with the tool and perhaps come up with other suggestions.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Cody Kyle
on Apr 14, 2010 at 8:10:31 pm

Thanks man that was the ticket, your suggestions were great. I was able to get the job done.

Sincerely,
Grateful

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 14, 2010 at 9:31:55 pm

Glad to hear it.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]