ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animating Particular to gravitate from a shape to a point

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward CoyleAnimating Particular to gravitate from a shape to a point
by on Apr 13, 2010 at 3:05:42 pm

Hi all. I'm a long time reader of Creative Cow, but a first time poster. I have a fairly complex Particle-related problem and I'm looking for a good solution, preferably without having to buy another plug-in.

I'm working on a job using Trapcode Particular v2, and I need to animate a set of simple dots that are lain out to form a shape, floating away from that shape stage left, and landing in from stage right to form my client's logo. This shape is actually the outline of an HD television set. I'm using a layer emitter in the shape of the TV to produce the particles, and have tried numerous things to get them to move to the left toward the logo. My problem is that I cannot get enough control of the particles to get them to gravitate from that giant TV shape down to a much smaller, finer point to have them land on a specific spot where I will grow the logo from (obviously, I would be hand animating the logo's formation, not using particular for that. I'm simply using it to move these dots from shape to shape).

I've tried using a motion path and following Trapcode's tutorial (, and I've mimicked it nicely using a layer emitter instead of a point. But the problem is that the particles all move exactly the way the light does, so the TV shape remains in tact during the entire motion. I can't get them to gravitate down into that fine point I need using any of my Physics settings.

Has anybody here done this type of thing with Particular before, or is it not possible with the tools I'm using? I'm fearing right now that I'm going to have to manually move 500 layers worth of dots from one shape to another, so if anyone has a better way to achieve this, please let me know! Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Animating Particular to gravitate from a shape to a point
by on Apr 13, 2010 at 3:35:09 pm

Try creating a spherical field with a negative value.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Edward CoyleRe: Animating Particular to gravitate from a shape to a point
by on Apr 13, 2010 at 9:07:32 pm

Hey Michael, thanks for the quick response.

Gave this a shot. It works in the fact that I get my particles condensed into a smaller point. However, it changes the position of all of my particles, and does not allow the motion path to stay in tact, due to how I have to make the particles flow. They are on a curved path. If it was a straight shot, I might be able to fake it, but I can't unfortunately.

I've tried uploading a video but apparently the moderators haven't approved it yet... I'm moving on with my hand animated version rather than trying to get Particular to do it...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved