ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Better quality stroke?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lizzie TurnerBetter quality stroke?
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:54:26 pm

Hi Im trying to creating something similar to the lines appearing from the gun in the kiss kiss bang bang title sequence

at 0.24-0.29 seconds

Im not sure of the best way to do this, but so far ive added an adjustment layer to my comp, drawn masks where i want the lines to follow and added a stroke effect.

the problem is the lines look really ammature as if just drawn in paint, is there a way to achieve a better result? i have tried playing with all the stroke settings. The comp is at full resolution and the continously rasterize switch is on.

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: Better quality stroke?
by on Apr 13, 2010 at 6:32:22 am

anyway you can show a sample of what you have done that does NOT look right to you. There are so many different ways to create animated strokes. Some simple, some more complex, and some are more time consuming. All have different times at which you may use them.

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: Better quality stroke?
by on Apr 13, 2010 at 6:31:27 pm

Draw the exact shapes in Illustrator. There you can more easilly vary the thickness of parts of the lines, and generally make it look nice.

Bring your illustrator file into AE. Enable continuous rasterization.

Also copy the paths over seperately. You can do this by having both programmes running at the same time and selecting the paths in Illustrator, then pasting them onto a solid in AE.

Put the stroke effect on the solid with the path. Make it black/white. Make the thickness of the stroke wide enough to more than cover the actual Illustrator drawing.

Put the illustrator drawing on the layer below, and enable track matte.

Hope this helps

Jon Bagge
Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved