ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

building a 3D scene from 2D drawing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benj Rochebuilding a 3D scene from 2D drawing
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 7:10:47 pm

I have a hand made drawing that I want to animate in AE

The drawing has perspective lines (a table in the foreground that extends towards the bg, the walls, the floor)

I want to take the top of the table and place it in 3D in AE, and do the same with the legs on a different 3d plane. and the floor and walls......

Is it possible to trace these images as they are (using AI Live Trace...this is a cartoon and vectors are the stlye) and orient them in 3d correctly? Do I have to redraw things perfectly in 2D and then orient them properly in AE?

I am trying to keep the original feel of the source drawing and trying to redraw the thing in 2d from scratch is going to be too time consuming.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: building a 3D scene from 2D drawing
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 7:19:13 pm

If you have Photoshop, this tutorial should help you.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: building a 3D scene from 2D drawing
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 7:43:20 pm

While it is true that vanishing point will give you a 3d space, I do not think that it is what you need for your scene, plus the table with legs would be hard to do with that plug-in... so I think you're left with drawing the pieces and building a real 3d room in AE. That's how I did this animated music video:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved