ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How do I Animate Cockroach

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda LeGayxHow do I Animate Cockroach
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 5:41:52 pm

Hello everyone,

I am trying to animate a cockroach...I want him to look like his he walking around, so his 6 legs have to be in constant motion with his moving body. I am new to After Effects, so I am unsure how to do this. I have been working with parenting/puppeting and can't quite figure it out.

I would be happy to send my files, etc. to anyone who could point me in the right direction. Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: How do I Animate Cockroach
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 6:05:17 pm

Basically, create a moving leg in a composition all it's own. Place that composition into another comp along with the body. Duplicate the leg comp 5 times (or drag it into the comp 5 times). Parent all the leg comps to the body. Place them around the body. Now, animate the body around the screen and the legs will follow.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How do I Animate Cockroach
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 7:51:16 pm

Good advice from Bret. I would add one more thing- since the legs on a bug don't move all exactly the same I would render a loop-able animation of a leg with alpha, bring in that and loop it in the prefs for a high number of times so that the length of your loop exceeds the length of your comp, and then offset pairs of legs in such a way that will make the movement look natural. You can also play with time remapping to slow down or speed up your bugs movement.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved