ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Twixtor 4.5- Super Slo Mo trouble with 29.97 Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony GiolaTwixtor 4.5- Super Slo Mo trouble with 29.97 Footage
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 4:35:15 am

Hello Everyone, Recently I've been working on a project which has a 59.94 source footage and for any slo mo I'm using Twixtor 4.5. It is in my opinion the best way to get Extremely slow, without the horrible looking ghosting around objects. Well the client sent me a clip today that has a 29.97 frame rate and requested that this clip be slowed down to a 5% speed. Since the footage was not a higher frame rate when I slow it down it starts to ghost and leave HUGE artifacts. My solution so far has been to use Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 to copy the Footage into another video track then move it back exactly one half of a frame then change the opacity to 50%. This seems to replicate a 59.94 FPS and works a little bit better but it is increasng the render times massively and ultimately decreasing quality of the footage itself. Im wondering if their is any way to change the FPS without having ANY artifacts and is still completely smooth. I would post an example of the problem but I can't be posting this footage. If anyone has a solution please respond since the deadline for the project will be coming up soon.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Twixtor 4.5- Super Slo Mo trouble with 29.97 Footage
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 1:02:14 pm

If your 29.97 is interlaced then your best bet is to use each interlaced field as a full-frame. You'll end up with a softer image though which may not be what you want.

Checkout ReVisionFXs' FieldsKit which should produce better results. A demo is available for download.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Twixtor 4.5- Super Slo Mo trouble with 29.97 Footage
by on Apr 19, 2010 at 1:12:55 pm

I'm sorry, but you simply do not have enough picture information to do a good-looking super slo-mo. Twixtor will help out a bit, but it CAN NOT work the miracles you apparently hope it will.

The only good way to get good super slo-mo is to shoot super slo-mo... and 59.94 will not cut it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anthony GiolaRe: Twixtor 4.5- Super Slo Mo trouble with 29.97 Footage
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:34:57 pm

Thanks Dave,
Yesterday I sent an email to the client and they responded saying that they would be able to shoot the footage at 120 FPS. Once they sent me the files i experimented and they do indeed work fine with no ghosting once I put in the best settings for Twixtor I could come up with. Twixtor paired with other techniques is indeed a valuable plugin. While it cannot perform straight up miracles it can do some great things. I understand that the best way to get super slo mo is to shoot at super slo mo, but in this case it worked fine. Thank you for responding.
Anthony

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Twixtor 4.5- Super Slo Mo trouble with 29.97 Footage
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:44:38 pm

Glad to hear that with the additional frames per second, you got the thing to work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]