ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What's new and changed in After Effects CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd KoprivaWhat's new and changed in After Effects CS5
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 4:07:15 am

Here it is:
"What's new and changed in After Effects CS5"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: What's new and changed in After Effects CS5
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 4:15:06 am

Wahoo!
Er, I mean, that looks good.
DO WANT!
Sorry; can't help myself.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Anthony GiolaRe: What's new and changed in After Effects CS5
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 4:54:00 am

Thanks a Bunch for this post Todd! I can Absolutely not wait for Roto Brush tool. That will definetly be one of my favorite tools! So wait though my impression from it was that you drew the tool over an area you wanted to mask/select and it basically drew a mask around it? So a bit like the quick selection tool from Photoshop CS4.?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: What's new and changed in After Effects CS5
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 4:57:37 am

Yes, the Roto Brush tool is very much like the Quick Select tool from Photoshop. We tried to keep it as much the same as possible---but of course there are some differences because video has different needs.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: What's new and changed in After Effects CS5
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 5:26:06 am

Approx 10 years ago, using AE's Filmstrip format, you could use Photoshop's Magic Wand tool on a single frame and the selection would translate across all frames within the filmstrip. There were issues with feathering etc but the technology was there 10 years ago!

Is The Foundry's Matchmoving plugin going to be bundled with AE?

Cheers
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2010 at 5:46:57 am

Regarding the technology of 10 years ago: The chatter on such mattes tended to be fierce. The magic in the Roto Brush effect is in its ability to see across time and make the matte "temporally coherent"---i.e., smoothly animating across time.

There's also a lot of new technology in the color decontamination and motion blur in the mattes so that the background color is cleaned out of soft edges and such. That part is also available in the separate Refine Matte effect, which is very handy outside of the Roto Brush workflow.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2010 at 6:02:05 am

[Todd Kopriva] "There's also a lot of new technology in the color decontamination and motion blur in the mattes so that the background color is cleaned out of soft edges and such. That part is also available in the separate Refine Matte effect, which is very handy outside of the Roto Brush workflow."

This sounds promising although it'll be silly to think of it as a panacea for all roto jobs - wishing I'm wrong though. ;-)
It's still awkward that 10 years later we finally see some positive movement.

Is it too early to touch on The Foundary's Matchmoving plugin or did you miss that in my earlier post?

Thanks for the updates here - much appreciated.
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2010 at 6:15:23 am

Oh, I certainly agree that Roto Brush isn't going to get you all the way on every job. You can see in the tips and such on the page that I wrote here that I talk about what to do when you've gotten everything as good as you can with Roto Brush. Maybe you'll still have to do some conventional rotoscoping to clean up some bits, but you can save loads of time by starting out with the Roto Brush tool.

Regarding the matchmoving plug-in: I haven't even seen it in use yet. I'm at NAB now, so maybe I'll see it tomorrow.

Return to posts index

ben rollasonRe: What's new and changed in After Effects CS5
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 10:47:29 am

Hi Todd,

If you've in any way cracked automatic rotoscoping, then major respect!

Glad to see a subtract and divide blending mode in there finally too.

It seems though that all the changes are firmly in the direction of compositing. The obvious change that's missing in this respect though is a node-based interface. Are there plans to make the timeline metaphor compatible with a node based one in the future? Only then can AE really compete with the dedicated compositing apps - the Nukes and Fusions of this world.

Alarm bells are ringing about 64 bit plug-ins only though. Does that mean I'm going to have to upgrade all of my plug-ins? That's potentially going to make this an expensive upgrade.

Thanks for the link.

-Ben.

vfx.benrollason.com

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2010 at 4:39:53 pm

> If you've in any way cracked automatic rotoscoping, then major respect!

The Roto Brush tool may not be enough all by itself to do really demanding shots, but its results alone are good enough for a lot of tasks, and even for high-precision compositing tasks it can save you a lot of time and get you 80-90% of the way to done with just a few clicks.

Here's a blog post in which I collect some good resources that are already available about Roto Brush and Refine Matte.

> It seems though that all the changes are firmly in the direction of compositing.

Yep. Our releases tend to have unifying themes, and one theme for this time was compositing improvements.

> The obvious change that's missing in this respect though is a node-based interface.

Here's a link to the feature-request form.

> Alarm bells are ringing about 64 bit plug-ins only though. Does that mean I'm going to have to upgrade all of my plug-ins? That's potentially going to make this an expensive upgrade.

Don't be alarmed without actually checking with your plug-in makers. Many upgrades are free, and many are inexpensive. See this page, including the comments for resources for tracking plug-in availability and pricing.

To put it simply, we knew that plug-ins would be a big deal with this 64-bit port, and we've been working for a long time with the plug-in makers to make the transition as easy as possible for everyone.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2010 at 12:49:52 pm

I was thinking, wishfully, that The Foundry plugin was to be bundled with AE. Looks like it won't.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Jeffrey KaplanRe: What's new and changed in After Effects CS5
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 6:54:32 pm

I'm loving the RotoBrush Feature thus far.

Jeff Kaplan
Point 360 WEST
Animation & VFX Department
http://www.point360.com

Return to posts index

Tim KocherRe: What's new and changed in After Effects CS5
by on Apr 13, 2010 at 5:16:39 am

Thanks for that, Todd! However as a CS3 user, I'm wondering if anything has been removed from CS4 in CS5? (I'm glad to see that Mocha for AE is still with it.)

In other words, is there any advantage to getting CS4 now with a free upgrade to CS5 when it ships (other than obvious things like, "having CS4 and CS5," "using CS4 now," etc.)?

Thanks!

Best,
Tim

Return to posts index

by on Apr 13, 2010 at 6:07:32 am

> I'm wondering if anything has been removed from CS4 in CS5?

Nothing comes to mind.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]