ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

editing .aep's together.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nicola winstanleyediting .aep's together.
by on Apr 11, 2010 at 8:26:31 pm

Hello all,

I've just started using after effects to animate a comedy sketch pilot show, and so far i've found it gratifyingly intuitive to use. I've got to the stage where i have my first scene, comprising of multiple compositions and files. What i would like to do is turn this project into a composition in its own right- uneditable, so that i can splice together scenes and eventually edit together the sketches to make a 5 minute long video.

Do i have to render down each individual project separately to do this? i just conscious of the massive file sizes i seem to be accumulating and i've only got 30 seconds! i've gone through the process of consolidating, removing and collecting but it doesn't seem to do what i want. any ideas?

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: editing .aep's together.
by on Apr 11, 2010 at 9:11:59 pm

Just assemble everything into one composition and then nest that composition into another one, which will be your main comp. From there you can duplicate the nested comp and trim it to your heart's content. Honestly though, After Effects is not meant for editing, it's meant for compositing. It would be much faster and easier to cut the final piece in and editing app if you have one. That way you won't have to render every time you make a change. But first you'll have to render out the composition from AE as a movie and then import that into your editing app. You didn't mention what format you are using (SD, HD or otherwise) but most video files will be very large. That's to be expected.

Return to posts index

nicola winstanleyRe: editing .aep's together.
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 3:00:22 pm

Thanks. Forgive me, i'm pretty new to this. As far as i know i'm working in SD. This 'nested comp' is what i've not been able to achieve- well, not in a sense that i can import it soley into another project. If i can at least use after effects to put together individual sketches that would be great- then i can edit together the entire video with an editing app, as you suggested.

thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved