ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Halo light render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enginn HeimaHalo light render
by on Apr 11, 2010 at 4:27:28 pm

Hello there.

I'm going slightly mad. I've been trying to get this composition rendered out, but my light is awful! Kind of halos around my lit area, and I've tried everything. Render it out in different formats, compressions, switched from 8bits to 16bits (helps a bit, but doesn't nearly do it) ...

Am I missing something?

Here is a link to a snapshot of:

It's in a 1050x576, square pixel composition.
Background layer is dark grey and light settings are:
intensity: 129%
cone angle: 99°
cone feather: 100%

I've tried to mess around with these settings as well, but I can't get rid of my halos...

Return to posts index

robert cragheadRe: Halo light render
by on Apr 11, 2010 at 7:18:06 pm

Not sure what you mean by "halo's". If you're having so much trouble with the light, I would not use it at all. Try a simple mask with gradients on the objects. Would have a lot more control on where you want the light look.

Sometimes the light in 3d space is more trouble than good.

Robert Craghead
Ten Stories

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Halo light render
by on Apr 11, 2010 at 7:35:00 pm

1. set project to 32bpc
2. do not use any 8 bit light plugins
3. render out a Tiff trillions+
all fixed

Return to posts index

Enginn HeimaRe: Halo light render
by on Apr 11, 2010 at 10:03:13 pm

Thank you both for your answers.

Robert, did you look a the snapshot I'd put in... you can see those halos around the lit area if you look at the jpg. You say, "Sometimes the light in 3d space is more trouble than good." Well in this case I couldn't agree with you more, but there must be a way to get around the problem.

Chris, I can't render out my film as a tiff sequence in trillions+ in 32bits because I can't deliver it like that to my client. I need a more manageable format!

There must be a solution to this...

Return to posts index

Anthony GiolaRe: Halo light render
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 4:40:23 am

Once you have the TIFF sequence then you should be able to use a Compositing or Editing app to import it then, render it as a Video. I think what your experiencing is called banding. Sometimes i will put in noise to fix it. (sometimes works sometimes doesnt) Otherwise render as a 32 BPC tiff Sequence then follow my instructions

Return to posts index

Enginn HeimaRe: Halo light render
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 9:15:08 am

Thanks Anthony.

In this case you would apply the noise to the background I assume?

I will try what you said about render out as 32bit tiff sequence, and then import to an editing app to render out as video. But I might as well re-import it to AE and render it out from there again!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Halo light render
by on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:44:33 pm

You don't need to render at 32bpc. If you change your project bit depth to 32bpc you should have all the headroom in the world you'd need to calculate the lighting well, then rendering at 8bpc (standard MOV) will dither these calculations and it should look okay.

Unfortunately I couldn't look at your image from work, but I would guess that 32bpc is overkill.

I would recommend 16bpc and adding noise to the composition. Create an adjustment layer at the top and apply the noise effect with a small amount of noise (1-4% is usually good for most applications). This forces a small amount of cheap 'dithering' into the banding.

Other things that could potentially improve your result would be increasing the light's intensity, reducing it's feather or reducing it's cone angle. Of course, all of these have an effect on the way your light looks (which is probably not desired).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved