ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Water reflections

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas DormanWater reflections
by on Apr 10, 2010 at 10:03:24 am

I'm trying to make a fantasy themed video billboard for my latest project. For this I created a scene in photoshop, with a Castle on a small island. I'd like to add realistic water animation and some glowing particles flying around the scene, to bring the whole thing to life. Id Like to make the water reflect the island with the castle, and thy sky. There's a plugin out there called Aurora Water wich seemed like it could handle the thing. At least the sample video on the following site suggests it could.

I have downloaded the demo version, but it freezes After Effects when I try to aply the effect. Is there another way to achieve this result. I tried Psunami trial version aswell, but I just can't get it to reflect the scene. I'm really after the effect seen in the above linked video.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Water reflections
by on Apr 10, 2010 at 4:54:32 pm

You could contact the Aurora people to see why it crashes, or try this Zaxwerks product:

(I haven't tried it)

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Water reflections
by on Apr 10, 2010 at 6:35:05 pm

Have you tried Caustics with a displacement map?

You could generate wave/water like motion using fractal noise or wave world for the displacement map.
You apply caustics to a solid layer and set use the displacement map for the water layer and the in your case the reflected layer is set as the bottom layer in the effect.

To reflect the layer there are several techniques, a duplicate layer scaled and positioned below the reflecting layer or use Andrew Kramer's free VC Reflect plug-in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved