ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

hard drive for demo reel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tylor Larsonhard drive for demo reel
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 3:18:23 pm

I'm looking to buy a new hard drive for my new resume reel. Can any one suggest and external hard drive that is fast and stable. it needs to be 1T or larger...I work in HD and have 5+ years of projects that need to go onto it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: hard drive for demo reel
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 3:34:11 pm

If you're looking for speed, reliability and failure-proofing, you're looking at something like a Raid 5. If one hard drive in the array fails, you can rebuild all the data on the failed drive by simply putting in a replacement drive, and waiting a half-hour.

Go check out the CalDigit web site and see what you think about their products. A warning: this type of storage is indeed pricey. Very pricey.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tylor LarsonRe: hard drive for demo reel
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 4:02:09 pm

yea im looking for something that is portable. But basically i need a drive i can copy files to and then bring it home and mirror those files to my home computer.

Return to posts index

Paul ConigliaroRe: hard drive for demo reel
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 4:22:00 pm

Take a look at OWC. I've had good luck with their drives. Their Guardian Maximus drive is nice as it has two mirrored drives in one enclosure for redundancy in case one fails.

Unless you're footage is reliably stored else-where, I'd stay away from any external RAID-0 drives, like the G-RAID or the Elite-AL Pro. They're fast, but if one drive fails (and your chances are doubled with two drives), you're screwed.

Lastly, I'd stay away from Lacie. They're alright for temporary storage or shuttling footage from a shoot, but I've seen so many of their drives fail, I won't really touch them any more.

Adobe CS3, Apple FCS2
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: hard drive for demo reel
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 6:41:50 pm

On the LaCie firewire front, if you have a single drive (short case) and it fails, you can usually mount it in a new FW enclosure and be up and running again. However, if you have a double drive (long case) and it fails, you're hosed.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 9, 2010 at 9:11:26 pm

I have had two of those long lacie drives blow up... but the single shorter ones seem to last forever. I have one at home that is 8 years old and still works.

ty

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: hard drive for demo reel
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 6:44:37 pm

I've heard a lot about LaCies failing, but I've had 3 D2s for about 8 years, and a Rugged (which I love) for about a year, and they're all still working just fine.
I think the Rugged only goes up to 750 GB with a firewire 800 option, the 1TB option being E-Sata and USB 2 only.
I also have 2 Western Digital MyBooks which are still working great after 4 years, but they require an external power source, like the LaCie D2s.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 9, 2010 at 9:08:40 pm

Thanks Paul... that is a sweet idea... im total going to look into these guys...

Ty

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: hard drive for demo reel
by on Apr 10, 2010 at 1:14:30 am

ill second the OWC recommendation. I personally have had some problems with the g raids. I have 3 of them on life support, in my cabinet. Luckily I got data off before total failure. I max out my internals
and back up and disconnect my mercury elite drives. I used to love to have all 19 years of my data "live" on firewire 800, ready to go. Over time those g raids just did not, as a whole, want to be on all the time with my CPU. Ultimately they started getting 'twitchy'.... hahahaha... man, what a nightmare. So I keep my most valuable 4 terabytes of data on my internals with backups manually copied to the OWC mercury elite drives. Not perfect, but affordable. This is not exactly what you asked, but I thought id share my drive experience. Roughly 20 years of it....

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
web:http://web.mac.com/finaleffects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]