ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Converting masks to vector paint

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erika TarteConverting masks to vector paint
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:54:56 pm

I'm trying to animate some very detailed line drawings using vector paint, but it's very difficult to control the quality of the lines and I really need control over bezier curves. Since I already have the line drawings finished in Illustrator, I was wondering if there's a way to import those vectors as masks and then convert the mask lines to vector paint? I'm I just delusional?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Converting masks to vector paint
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:21:37 pm

Here's the lowdown on Vector Paint:

There's a lot to read, and I should tell you up front that I've never used it. I hope someone who uses it chimes in.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Converting masks to vector paint
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:47:31 pm

I've also never used Vector Paint. Is there a reason why Stroke or Vegas won't work?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Converting masks to vector paint
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 7:21:06 pm

I recommend against using Vector Paint. There's a reason that the first page of the official documentation (which Dave pointed to) is this:

"For most drawing and painting tasks, use shape tools and paint tools, not the Vector Paint effect."

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved