ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why can't I import DPX files?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan GilmoreWhy can't I import DPX files?
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:47:03 pm

I'm using AE CS3 on a PowerMac G5.

I have been using AE in broadcast for 10 years, but am just starting to do film projects, and am learning the workflow (that includes going back to film at finishing). I am preparing to do some FX shots and need to advise my client with what digital format to supply the footage.

I assume DPX is a good industry standard to stick with these days. I've downloaded samples from the net which I can open in Photoshop (so I know the files are not corrupt!) but AE just gives me errors (eg. "the chosen file cannot be read as a Cineon FIDO or SMPTE DPX")

What am I missing here?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Why can't I import DPX files?
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 7:22:59 pm

Not all DPX files are the same. For example, it was only with the 9.0.2 update that After Effects was able to import multi-image DPX files like those from a Northlight scanner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Ryan GilmoreRe: Why can't I import DPX files?
by on Apr 10, 2010 at 7:34:52 am

Thanks for the confirmation. Do you know what kind of DPX I should request? Or am I safer asking for TIFFs?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Why can't I import DPX files?
by on Apr 10, 2010 at 5:07:51 pm

Sorry, but I don't know the details of exactly what the difference was between what you were given and what After Effects CS3 can import, so I can't advise you on what specifically to ask for.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Ryan GilmoreRe: Why can't I import DPX files?
by on Apr 10, 2010 at 5:59:05 pm

The film is shot digitally on a RED camera. What should be the format I ask them to convert to so I can work with the footage in AE CS3? The final destination will be film stock to by viewed in cinemas.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]