ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Crash while saving

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Wheel
Crash while saving
on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:11:20 pm

I was working on a project for about 6 solid hours, and saving every few minutes (as is always recommended). Made a few tweaks, and hit Ctrl-S to save... In the middle of the save, THIS happened: http://i41.tinypic.com/bfozzb.jpg

Now when I try to open my project file, I get:

After Effects error: missing data in file.
(33 :: 4)

Is there any way to recover? Project is due in a few hours.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Crash while saving
on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:28:49 pm

Ouch.

I have NO clue what that means, but it doesn't look good, and that's a fact. I fear your project file may have been corrupted during the crash.

The first thing to do: create a new AE project, then IMPORT the project in question into the new one. If that doesn't work, I think you may be hosed. I hope other people have more ideas.

I have taken to using AE's Increment and Save feature, as well as the Save A Copy feature. I always have a few project files to fall back on... just in case. I've been burned myself too many times.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Christian Wheel
on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:43:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave,

I tried the import you suggested, and get the same error message. Then the new project has an empty folder with the name of the project file.

I notice that my .aep file is now 38 KB, I seem to remember it being several hundred kb before.

I'm not optimistic. :-\

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:49:35 pm

[Christian Wheel] "I notice that my .aep file is now 38 KB, I seem to remember it being several hundred kb before.... I'm not optimistic. :-\"

Neither am I, and I'm sorry to hear you lost hours of work. If there's ANY bright side to this, you've now learned that having more than one copy of an important project file is a Very Good Thing Indeed.

One of the IT guys here at the station put it this way: "If you have only one copy, you have NO copies". I'm afraid you found that out the hard way.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:54:01 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "One of the IT guys here at the station put it this way: "If you have only one copy, you have NO copies". I'm afraid you found that out the hard way."

As usual, Dave's sharing great advice.

Even if you are using Increment and Save, if you're keeping it all on the same drive, there's still a single point of failure. Having my files versioned and backed up hourly for me over my network via Time Machine on my Mac gives me a little extra peace of mind.

Gridiron Flow works on Macs and PCs, and it also handles version management (even if you continually save with the same name).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]