ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Picking a camera...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean BallewPicking a camera...
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 6:30:03 pm

I'm getting in to video editing using After Effects, and I'm really liking it. However, I'm using my phone right now to capture stuff. Pictures are decent, but not great, and videos are awful. So I need a decent camera for capturing editable video/pictures.

I'm currently looking at the Flip It, which can record 720p. Here are the specs for the various types:
http://www.theflip.com/en-us/products/specs.aspx

Does anyone have experience with this product? Would it be a good pick for editing in After Effects? Do you have any other recommendations that don't exceed $350-$400?

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Picking a camera...
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:12:00 pm

Here's the first and MOST IMPORTANT question for you:

What do you intend to DO with the files you create in AE once you include footage from this camera?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Picking a camera...
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:55:22 pm

Another question that's quite important, what do you mean by "editing".
Do you mean editing? (Cutting video and moving it around in time.)

Or do you mean compositing, special effects and motion graphics?

They are very different things. AE is great for the compositing. Terrible for the editing.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sean BallewRe: Picking a camera...
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 12:36:08 am

Thanks for the responses. I do indeed mean compositing and special effects, not exactly "editing" in the sense of cutting, moving, etc.

As for what I intend to do with the created files, my intention is mainly to build up a portfolio of cool effects in videos. Nothing major. =)

Someone recommended the Kodak zi8. It does look quite nice: http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/Zi8_Pocket_Video_Camera/prod...

Return to posts index

by on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:53:53 am

[Sean Ballew] "my intention is mainly to build up a portfolio of cool effects in videos. Nothing major. =)"

Thenany old camera will do. You could get by with a VHS camera if you wanted to. Knock youself out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sean BallewRe: Picking a camera...
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:31:50 am

Sounds good. I just wanted to double check that I'm not missing anything, since I'm not very savvy with the subject yet.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:54:12 pm

You should beware of one thing: almost all of those inky-dinky cameras record in codecs that just don't work well in AE. I'd come out and say ALL of them, but I don't know that for a fact. Here's the lowdown:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Viktor NuevoRe: Picking a camera...
by on Apr 9, 2010 at 4:48:48 pm

I bought a Kodak Zi8 about 4 months ago, it´s really great for small projects. I use AE only to learn and for some college projects and this camera does the job just great.

It´s full HD and it has a really good quality/price relation.
If you have no professional intention this is your camera.

I hope it helped out

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]