ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best video format for AE CS3 & Final Cut Studio 2

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
quincy hall
Best video format for AE CS3 & Final Cut Studio 2
on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:51:10 pm

I'm fairly new to video graphics but I'm beging to understand the basics...

My question is: What is the most reliable footage format to use in AE CS3 and Final Cut Pro Studio 2 ?

I've had this problem with AE:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/947990

In addition I've not always been able to import video into final cut until I updated my Quicktime.

I've come to the conclusion that your standard jpg encoded .mov is the way to go. Am I right? My software is dated, so I can see my choices are a little limited.

My stuff is not HD it will just be displayed on a projector for 200 people. I may include some motion graphics, so I'm not sure if that should effect my choice

I'm using an older machine G5, OS 10.5, 4 gigs RAM duel core. It's sluggish but works.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best video format for AE CS3 & Final Cut Studio 2
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:47:00 am

Does FCP 6 give you access to ProRes 422? It's a very good codec, and it's easy to work with in both FCP and AE. Start there.

If you're a stickler for the very highest quality, which means having oodles more storage space for files, you could export video out of FCP in the PNG codec, do your AE voodoo, then render in AE using the PNG codec... it's lossles.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:52:58 am

[quincy hall] "My question is: What is the most reliable footage format to use in AE CS3 and Final Cut Pro Studio 2 ? I've had this problem with AE: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/947990 In addition I've not always been able to import video into final cut until I updated my Quicktime."

What codec were you using? The problem described in that thread is usually associated with temporally compressed footage, like MPEG2 or H264.

[quincy hall] "I've come to the conclusion that your standard jpg encoded .mov is the way to go. Am I right? My software is dated, so I can see my choices are a little limited."

You could use JPG in Quicktime as you mentioned, but it's lossy. Animation or PNG codecs (in a Quicktime wrapper) are both lossless, and both preserve transparency.

ProRes might be a good option for you, too -- just check out Todd Kopriva's blog post about preventing gamma shift with ProRes in CS3.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

quincy hall
on Apr 20, 2010 at 3:45:34 pm

Thanks guys. I'm getting started with my project today I appreciate all the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]