ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

jagged text in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ceri Allenjagged text in after effects
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:23:28 pm

I am creating animations in adobe aftereffects CS4. I have been provided with an eps file from a client that contains some text and a logo (though it is not a text layer, it is a flat eps image file on a transparent background). I am placing this file onto a video background.

On the eps and within aftereffects the text looks perfect. However when I export from aftereffects only one of the words on the text comes out looking jagged and bad quality but the rest is fine. I am working in 1920x1080 and have tried exporting with animation, appleprores 422 and H.264 codecs (the client needs the final movies in H.264).

I cannot work out why only 1 word would look jagged when all the text is just together on one flat eps image layer.

I have tried converting the eps to photshop file, didnt make any difference. The layer quality is set to best.

To me this seems very strange, if someone can enlighten me please do!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: jagged text in after effects
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:32:24 pm

turning on the continuously rasterize switch may fix this.
In the eps file, are all the elements vectors or bitmaps?
Maybe somehow the one word that appears jaggy is a bit map and the rest is vector..

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: jagged text in after effects
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:50:25 pm

Yup, I agree with Ted: somebody made a mistake when putting that EPS document together. You might ask whoever made the document about any problems... like a misspelling that had to be fixed.

Now, you may have to deliver an H.264 file, but you DON'T want to make it using AE:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved