ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Use of memory in a matrox axio le

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guilherme PavianiUse of memory in a matrox axio le
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 2:06:36 pm

I own an island matrox axio le com 2 dual xeon 2,33 GHZ 12GB of memory and r RAM.

One would help configuring the memory in After Effects CS4 so I can get the maximum performance.

I appreciate anyone who can help.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Use of memory in a matrox axio le
by on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:52:22 pm

There isn't a simple formula for determining what will get you the best performance, because your computer isn't the only factor; your footage, your effects, and your workflow all impact performance.

As general guidelines for AE performance, I always recommend a system configuration that includes:
  • A 64-bit edition of your operating system
  • Multiple cores or processors
  • Between 2-4 GB of RAM per processor core
  • A fast RAID or 3 separate hard drives (one for the OS and apps, one for source footage, and one for renders)
  • The most current release of AE (the 9.0.2 update fixes quite a few quirks for AE CS4)

AE doesn't currently use the GPU, so your graphics card doesn't impact rendering performance.

I also recommend adjusting your workflow to accommodate AE's strengths and weaknesses:
  • Transcoding any interframe-compressed media like MP4 to an intraframe codec before importing
  • Turning off OpenGL for previews and rendering
  • Using proxies or pre-renders where appropriate
  • Use a region of interest where appropriate
  • Using Shift-RAM preview with lower quality settings than RAM preview for quick takes on your work

Finally, I'd refer to you a couple important links. Todd Kopriva (AE's documentation lead) has written two important blog posts on performance:

And here are some relevant sections from the AE manual itself:

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved